• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I'm glad to be back stateside and on this forum as well. If you have any B-52 questions just ask.

-Jonathan

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because that's what I fly for the AF B-52 bombers. Yes, there were 51 others , some great (B-17.24.25,26,47) others not so much.

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    8th AF, 2BW (Barkadale) 96th, 20th, and 11th (FTU) Bomb Squadrons, and time with 93rd BW now the 307th BW by way of the 93rd BS..... ALCM and ACM plus B-61 and 83s. Love my glowing weapons.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Damn Ardiemus I thought I was the only one on this forum that was in the other Air Force SAC and you know what it does with pride. Welcome. Was with the 28Bomb Wing at Ellsworth from 66 to 70. Engine mech on B52 and KC 135. Was TDY with some of your guys on Guam. Sure miss that place. If you were there you know what I mean. John Didn't know you were in SAC to I don't remember where the 97th was. Probally spent some time with them on Guam to. I'm 67 so you may be younger than I am but I'm sure you have both heard the good stories about Guam. Damn It's good to know there are SAC people here. Again Welcome Ardiemus. The good stories about Guam was a joke.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Guam....DAMN !! I spent two weeks there twice. Agana AB I believe it was called. That is when we were doing security checks for the AP's that were guarding the SR-71's. I remember the mongoose that were running all around where we stayed. I also seem to remember a BUFF crash off the end of one of the runways.

I am still best friends with a BUFF navigator. Him and I went thru a whole bunch of shit together waaay back when. His navigation was great in the air I suppose,but not worth a crap on the ground. We were paired together in a survival exercise in Germany(Patch Barracks,Stuttgart)and he lead me 13 km in the wrong direction.

Seven BUFF's in "V" formation carpet bombing with BLU-82's is a sight to behold. --- SAWMAN

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I'm not old enough for SAC ( God rest it's soul) but I have been to Guam a few times and taught at the school house. I have always been ACC and then Global Strike Command.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was a SAC trained killer for over six years.
    I was a Minuteman ICBM guidance tech 1970-1974 at Malmstrom AFB, Montana. 341 Strategic Missile Wing
    34120SMW20wgdes.jpg

Then 1975-1976 tech on the SRAM at Blytheville AFB, Arkansas. 97th Bomb Wing
    97th_Bombardment_Wing_-_SAC_-_Emble.png

imagesqtbnANd9GcRha1xQb7nXXiPIbyP4_.jpg

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would bet that B52 you fly is more then a few decades older then you as the last "H" was delivered in 62. I think it is the oldest airframe series still in service in significant numbers.

Welcome aboard,
    WR

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, only Hs are in service and you are correct, last one delivered in 1962 but are considered '61s. We have 76 funded for service and they smell great! I crawled around a D model and man, what a difference. My longest sortie was 27.7 hours nonstop with 4 A/Rs.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man am I glad to see SAC people here. I have more in common with you guys than just guns. When we were in we called ourselves SAC trained monkey killers. Crome dome kicked our ass. All those hours put alot of time on engines and we worked 6 and 7 days a week when we were home. Guam sucked but we knew when we were going to work and when we were getting home. Ardiemu Really want to get together with you guys when I get back s Pulled a hot section on an engine that had 8000 hr on it. They were the D models Old but workhorses. But hey they had a bed in them. How about the H models... I really want to grt together with you guys when I get back over there in the fall. For those that don't know the Moto at that time was Sac sucks with pride. Sure it has changed ofer the years . Ardiemus this will scare you since you flew but #uck it it'll fly was said alot. We were just kiddin.

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well we still have a Guam rotation. Nice diving but no bombing Commies except for the Farlon Island. That Rock is still standing after hundreds of tons of M117s an Mk-82s..... Yes the H has a bunk but its always full of chutes and the world wide FLIP bag. 2nd BW... Second to None!

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Don't know anything at all about Air Force or B 52's, But I'll give you an Army salute for your service to our country. Was there ever an A52?
    Welcome.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How much older are the aircraft you fly than you are. Saw where a father and son flew the same aircraft and they will be around long enough that the grandson might be able to fly the same aircraft. Don't have to answer if you don't want to. I sure loved working around them. Only bomber I like as much is a B17. By the way, it feels good you guys are flying.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Well I thought I was alone. Started in SAC in 82 until it changed in 94 to ACC. SAC and TAC had a friendly merger into ACC. We (the bomber guys) called it the hostel take over of TAC. NAV and RADAR NAV in H models mostly some G time. Duty stations were Dyess AFB, Carswell AFB (Now Navy FT Worth), Ellsowrth until 1994. TDYs were Guam, Darwin Australia, Moron Spain with several short trips (16hrs each) to IRAQ in 91.

JohnAL, was your experience SRAM also with the ASQ38 nav system? I just had a flash back to SIC codes I used to operate the SRAM system.

Ardiemus, does the oven still work in the H model? Is the current nav system still called OAS? I was told about some great upgrades to it since it I last flew in 94. Things that were coming: Voice SATCOM, New INS , better FLIR with lazar designation for LGBs? Expanded role into CAS missions. Are you at PNS now?

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Global Strike Command: Just read a mission statement for Global Strike Command. It sounds allot like SAC. I guess the band is getting back together. I wonder if bombers still chop to Strategic Command at Offutt? The fighter generals must have been getting tired of the whole nuke thing.

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    B52 yes I am at NAS and I could fill you in with the improvements over lunch at the O club sometime if you wish. Yes oven still works, only one temp still..... On. I am an Edubb btw... So don't hold that against me. :)

Top Bottom