• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The original deluxe stock was broken when I inherited this beautiful firearm from my Grandfather. He had planned to re-stock it but never got around to it and never owned a computer a day in his life to search the net for parts. If it wasn't in one of his catalogs or his local gunsmith couldn't find it, it didn't exist! I found a few original deluxe stocks in the beautiful honey blond but the cheapest was $750. Being a 7mm Mag I wasn't confident a repair would hold up considering the location of the split.

I really wanted to keep the original look but found this "blemished" laminate stock already 95% inletted for the L61 action from Richards Microfit Stocks. It was only 90 bucks so I ordered it not sure if I would like the wild electric blue or not. I have had it a couple of years and did the initial inletting over a year ago. Let me tell you when they say 95% finished don't be fooled into thinking it's mostly done. That was a lot of work to get the action fitted correctly. They are pretty rough on the outside as well and have a lot of extra wood for those who want to do some reshaping I suppose. I filed on it off and on for a week or so and got distracted with other things with the intent to get back and finish it up at some point. Well I finally got around to it this last week. I finished shaping it up to my liking and did the final sanding and put 9 coats of a satin minwax wipe-on poly on it. I sanded with 220 grit and wiped down with mineral spirits in between the first 3 coats and then went to 0000 steel wool with a mineral spirit wipe down for every coat thereafter. After the final coat dried I got out the small rotary buffer and buffed with a mild cutting compound and then a final buff with polish. It turned out surprisingly well I think.

I'm sure the purist may think it's criminal to put a classic like this in an electric blue laminate stock so feel free to let me have it because I 50% agree with you. The other 50% of me kind of likes it though. I welcome all opinions! Maybe because I have so much time invested it is growing on me and I'm thinking I may just roll with it. I have an almost identical sister Sako Forester Deluxe in .243 that is all original for when I want to get all nostalgic. If anything else it was good practice though I'm not sure I care to inlet and finish out a "95% finished" stock again. The fit and finish is not to bad but I could probably do better a second time around.

I'm thinking this may have to be a long range tactical rifle to fill out that gap in my arsenal. I know there are probably better calibers for that purpose but the 7mm Mag has pretty darn good long range ballistics from what I've read and it's what I got. Just like my Forester it has an awesome trigger and super smooth action. With that being the case I'm thinking maybe this stock will do just fine. I plan to glass bed the action, install pillars for better accuracy, and need to decide on a suitable scope. I don't want to break the bank but want something quality that will hold and return to zero as well. You long-range experts got any advise on a scope and mounts? I have the original Vintage Sako mounts and they have held zero just fine on my .243 Forester but this is a step up in recoil. Would the new Optilock's be worth looking into? Not sure what direction to go there. I'm thinking probably a mil-dot scope but am definitely a greenhorn to the long-range stuff and have a lot to learn but think it would be fun.

Last edited:

Shley65

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's YOUR rifle so to hell what everyone else think .

I, happen to love the laminates for their unique beauty and superior toughness .

And yes, I think your rifle looks great !

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To have any chance at all in the long range game you gotta:
    1. have the bbl floated. Action bedded would be a real plus. Pillars... another big improvement.
    2. proper base(20MOA would be a plus)
    3. proper rings(super sturdy). None of them Leupold,twist in things.
    4. Proper scope(you gotta spend the bread) With optics you generally get what you pay for. CAUTION: You will most likely pay more for the scope than you did the gun. I hate Mil-Dot......so will you given time. There are much better reticles out there.
    5. Super trigger of 2lbs or so, with NO creep.

The Good Part ---> The bullet will certainly be glad to get away from that stock so you can expect another 10fps from your loads. Just kiddin'...not for me but to each their own. AND...if it shoots great.....?.....does it really matter.

Please do not under estimate the 7mm Rem Mag. I have several and have had probably 6-8 during my lifetime and they all shot like a mo-fo. I can launch a Hornady 162gr A-Max out of my 28" gun at >3100fps. Compare those ballistics to some of the better "sniper" chamberings.

The SAKO action is one of the best around. Some bench rest guns start by using that action. Get 'er done. --- SAWMAN

HideBuster

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Huge Sako fan! Great weapon buddy. Grandpa would dig it I'm sure!

I have two sako's in 300 wsm and both are 1/2 moa setups. Slickest action in the business for sure.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like nice work.

I personally do not like the baby blue but it's your gun. If I showed up to go hunting with it I would never hear the end of it from my hunting buddies. :boink:

I am a big fan of the 7 mag for a hunting rifle. Unless you are hunting in grizzly bear country all the time I see no need for anything more. In fact if you gave me a 300 win mag I would sell it or trade it away.

If you plan on shooting from the bench much a limsaver made a big difference on my A bolt. I use to come home with a bruise but not anymore. The one that was on it before sucked.

Just FYI Boyds sells stocks for reasonable prices several people on here have used them before.
    http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9035&cat=1223

Joe

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the comments fellas. Pretty funny about the extra 10fps.:lol: Can't wait to get it out to the range and see what it's capable of.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Joe is right about the Limbsaver in his #6 above. One word of caution,however minor though,.........I have several different rifles with the Limbsaver pad on them(including a fairly light 500S&W)and on a weapon capeable of produceing some of the heavier recoil you should factor in another 1/2" of eye relief because of the "give" of the pad during recoil. --- SAWMAN

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great looking gun, you might want to check out scope ring alinement I didn't know a kit for this was even out there. Been reading about it an what it does is line up your scope mounts-rings perfectly, seems to be pretty important for long range shooting. Have a blessed day!!!!Denny

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great looking gun, you might want to check out scope ring alinement I didn't know a kit for this was even out there. Been reading about it an what it does is line up your scope mounts-rings perfectly, seems to be pretty important for long range shooting. Have a blessed day!!!!Denny

[Heaven is swell, Hell is Hot, we are all going ready or not!!!]

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Joe is right about the Limbsaver in his #6 above. One word of caution,however minor though,.........I have several different rifles with the Limbsaver pad on them(including a fairly light 500S&W)and on a weapon capeable of produceing some of the heavier recoil you should factor in another 1/2" of eye relief because of the "give" of the pad during recoil. --- SAWMAN

I'll 3rd the Limbsaver suggestion. I put one on my 7 Mag Rem 700 and I went from my shoulder being sore after 8-10 shots to being able to shoot all day.

neohornet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seems the limbsaver is a popular choice around here. I have a 1" Pachmayr Decelerator Pad on it now which should offer similar recoil reduction and has to be better than a standard pad I would think. Have to see how it goes when I actually shoot the electric blue beast for the first time.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have the scope ring truing kit from Brownell's. I can check both 1 inch and 30mm rings. I can quickly do this for you if you want to bring it by someday. (Free of course.)

I did Stanley,s grenade launcher a couple of weeks ago. --- SAWMAN

Fletch

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Sawman! Once I get it all sorted out I may just have to take you up on that. If I bring the whole gun over you may want to get some dark sunglasses or a welders mask to shield your eyes from the brightness!
    I have the scope ring truing kit from Brownell's. I can check both 1 inch and 30mm rings. I can quickly do this for you if you want to bring it by someday. (Free of course.)

I did Stanley,s grenade launcher a couple of weeks ago. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom