• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just ran up on some bullets / brass / ammo for a .22 REM JET today, and it brought back the memory of the short lived wonder of S&W,s mod 53 I think. Tryin to remember why it flopped. I think the ammo would start to come apart in cylinder causing it to jam the rotation of same. Am I recollecting correctly? Does anyone have any experience ith the rascal. The ammo looks real promising and should be quite the wildcat round for small game and such. Maybe it wasn't much more that .22 mag? it sure looks mean and hot. Any other memories still intact ?

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    Ive had two revolvers that accepted a bottleneck cartridge, the 22 jet and a custom S&W M27 that was chambered for the 357-44 Bain&Davis, a 44 mag, necked down to .357.
    Revolver cylinders and bottlenecked cartridges are a poor mix, upon firing one cylinder full, you about need a doublejack to knock out the spent brass. They swell and stick like super glued into the cylinder. Smith always suggested to dissatisfied customers, make sure your chambers were clean and dry and free of lube....doesn't make a difference.There's a reason these kinds of revolvers aren't made any longer nor in much demand except for collectors of odd ball stuff....they just don't work worth a shit.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks AZ-VIC , native Arizonan, land of the flat shootin rifles, prob the reason you had the two calibers, right? You don't see many varmit type guns down here. As for the jet, I remember ther being a BIG problem with them , just couldn't remember what it was. Did they ever make a bolt gun for them. I knoe the 221 fireball is a sweet pistol, or maybe a single shot, i,m sure condender had a barrel? Looks like a sweet lil cartridge, but I am not much smart on ballistics.

Last edited:

Az-Vic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    native Arizonan, moved ot panhandle 2 years ago, l
    The .221 is a great little cartridge, chambered in several rifle actions. I have a great little CZ527,short/handy Pac-Nor barreled .17 mach4, which uses the .221 as the parent case. also know a few fellas who had rifles for coyote hunting chambered in .14 caliber using the .221 case....talk about a screamer, imagine an 15 grain bullet pushing the 5,000fps envelope!

Top Bottom