• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Looking at a Ruger LC9 w/ laser as a carry gun. Anyone use one, have an educated or even an opinion on it?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife has one. She loves it, but she can't shoot it well due to the long trigger pull. I can shoot it fine and carry it sometimes myself.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LCP was my first carry pistol. Hated it. I shot it fine, but despised that trigger pull.

Its definitely fine for use as a carry though.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one of the first ones in pensacola.
    I really liked its light weight, and I liked the styling/ergonomics.
    It was lighter and easier to carry than my kahr pm9........BUT ....it does have a very long trigger pull, is pretty snappy on its recoil, and has a bit too much plastic to stand up to regular practice.
    Mine had to have the plastic guide rod replaced after only 200 rounds.
    I believe there is a company that is making upgraded components for the lc9 now....so that might make it worth considering again.
    I'd always recommend any of the kahr brand pistols...I have 3 of them ...shoot the hell out of them ...and trust my life to them.

wareagle50

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I carried one for two years, shot at least 500 rounds through with no issues. But I could not get use to the trigger, so I sold it, but for the price it's a great carry gun.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/
    Here is the link for the upgrade parts. Looks like for about $130 you could trick out the lc9.
    It would be an interesting project but I don't know if you would end up with something that would be as good as the $ you had invested - AND you would be on your own for repairs since ruger wouldn't touch it after the mods.

Last edited:

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agree w jaxson...hated the feel of lc9...just felt bad n the hand to me...i also bought m&p shield...also just read that springfield released its xds9 at SHOT SHOW...sounds promising if u can find 1...7 or 9 rounds depending on which mag u use

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thanks for the input, I'll definitely take a look at the shield and Springfield. Thanks again.

smithnsig

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had one of the first ones in pensacola.
    I really liked its light weight, and I liked the styling/ergonomics.
    It was lighter and easier to carry than my kahr pm9........BUT ....it does have a very long trigger pull, is pretty snappy on its recoil, and has a bit too much plastic to stand up to regular practice.
    Mine had to have the plastic guide rod replaced after only 200 rounds.
    I believe there is a company that is making upgraded components for the lc9 now....so that might make it worth considering again.
    I'd always recommend any of the kahr brand pistols...I have 3 of them ...shoot the hell out of them ...and trust my life to them.

Wow, my cousin in Mobile has about 1200 rounds through his with no appreciable wear that can be seen. Mine has about 200 rounds and looks barely shot. I have more holster wear on my slide than anything.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do you have the plastic guide rod? Mine was visibly narrowed through the middle from wear. The front sight rattled loose as well....Ruger pinned the front sight, but did not replace the guide rod. I sold it as is. Maybe the guide rod would not have continued to wear....but I didint feel comfortable using it much more at the speed that it was wearing.
    No other part showed wear, just the guide rod....but thats enough for me.
    Like I said , I liked everything else about it....even the trigger wasnt THAT bad.....just no-where near as good as a Kahr.

smithnsig

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a later model with the front sight pinned. Guide rod looks good, although I lubricate with slide glide lite, even on the plastic parts if the move or rub.

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on the point of use... In your case a carry pistol. My initial impression of the LC9 was not good. Trigger pull seemed long (in comparison to other firearms) didnt like the feel in my hand. However it seemed to be pretty reliable. So if your on a budget and need just "something" to carry Im sure the LC9 would serve you well. However if your budget can be stretched a tiny bit more... Id look into something a little better, IMO

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Trigger pull seems to be the main consensus. That's why it's a must to shoot shoot and shoot some more, especially for a carry weapon. Thanks for the input

smithnsig

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another thing, If the thumb safety bothers you, it works perfectly fine without it. It's easy to remove, and reinstall.

The mag safety is a little more difficult to remove, but it comes off easily enough. I didn't remove mine.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the LC9 and actually like the long trigger pull. Nice to know it's not going to go off when you barely touch the trigger. All in all I think it's a great little gun.

Top Bottom