Rookie Needs Advice ... Please and Thanks in Advance!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobHinton

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    First off, I really enjoy reading through the forum. The sharing of info and the way everyone looks out for each other is very welcoming.

I have recently purchased my first gun .... at 37. I came across a S&W M&P15 Sport and I made it mine. It came with the MBUS and the A2 front sight / gas block. The rifle will be used 99.9% at the range not shooting more than 125 yds.

I dont have the govt's bottomless checking acct, but I want something decent in the way of a scope. So I have two questions/scenarios I would like to hear input or advise on ...

1. If I mount a scope w the A2 in place, what special precautions do I need to take to make sure it doesnt interfere? I heard that any magnification over 2x eliminates it, but I am concerned about the height. Any success or failures with this?

2. I thought about having it removed and replaced with a diff gas block, but Im not sure that is the route I want to go. Who here in Pensacola does that sort of work and any idea what the labor may run? Again any suggestions or knowledge is welcome.

3. Any recommendations on a good "bang for the buck" scope .... hoping to stay in the $75 to $125 range, but dont want something that will fall apart from recoil after three shots. (i know i know...you get what you pay for lol)

Again, thanks in advance. Im excited about my new purchase and really enjoy looking around on the forum.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For a red dot, i would go with a Vortex Strikefire. Hunting/bench rest scope, its tough to beat a Nikon Prostaff. Both in your wheel house money wise..

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh and the first thing I did when I got my first AR, was took it all apart and put it back together. Get to know YOUR rifle. There is a pdf floating around here somewhere with step by step diagrams with pics on how to do this. Ive been messin with black guns now for about 3 years, Im sure there are more seasoned vets that will chime in soon.. Good luck and dont get raped on ammo too bad..

RobHinton

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Actually, I picked up a little the other day from a forum member so I had some to play with .... I didnt want to be the kid w the cool remote controlled toy with no batteries ya know.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will def look into both. I appreciate it!

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oh and the first thing I did when I got my first AR, was took it all apart and put it back together. Get to know YOUR rifle. There is a pdf floating around here somewhere with step by step diagrams with pics on how to do this. Ive been messin with black guns now for about 3 years, Im sure there are more seasoned vets that will chime in soon.. Good luck and dont get raped on ammo too bad..

+1 on this. The whole point of an AR platform is that it is super easy to work on and customize. Everyone has a stock black rifle...for about 3-5 business days. Lol

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom