• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I have been looking this up online and I see different answers. What is the difference with lets say my Glock 18lb recoil spring vs a 20lb and 22lb? Which one provides less muzzle flip and recoil? Which one prevents the slide from slamming against the pistol as hard? Reason why I ask is my ole lady wants to shoot this .40 because she loves the feel of the grip. She has shot 9mm, 380, 12ga etc but I don't want the snap of the .40 to start making her gun shy. I would buy a 9mm conversion barrel but a recoil spring is about $100 dollars cheaper. Sorry for all the handgun threads but I hardly know anything about handguns. Actually I just started to really get interested in handguns this year. I really do appreciate all the information from everyone!

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan1612 must be taking a nap LOL, he would probably be the one who has your answer to this question! He will probably answer soon, Denny in pace!!

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dan1612 must be taking a nap LOL, he would probably be the one who has your answer to this question! He will probably answer soon, Denny in pace!!

Not sleeping. Feeding kids. Lol.

Deviation from the factory setting of more than a pound or two, can create reliability problems. In a self defense gun, it's not worth it. Sell the .40 and get a 9. JMO.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While the physics applies more to straight blowback, delayed blowbacks are similar. When even a modest pistol round like a 9mm is fired there are literally thousands of pounds of force on the bolt or slide. Its mostly the mass that counter acts the force of the bullet and gasses being fired. The peak velocity of the bolt is almost all from the mass and not from the recoil spring. What a heavy or light spring does is control the rate that the slide goes from its peak velocity to decelerate it down to zero as the it completes the rearward stroke and then has to have enough ass to bring the slide forward and strip a new round and close into battery. If you plan on shooting a hotter than normal round a heavier spring will help take some of the battering of the slide by slowing it down faster but doesn't change peak pressure applied to the bolt/barrel. The downside to heavy springs is bigger chances of failures with variances in ammo. What gun is it your using a glock 19 and she wants to shoot a 23

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was complicated, basically for a given loads recoil the best way to make recoil less is by adding mass, aka heavier gun. The spring cant change the mass it can only change the rate that the force is applied. I will say that glocks newer gen 4 springs do help with the snappiness of the recoil in the smaller compacts and sub compacts but im not sure if a change in weight would be worth giving up reliability.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That was complicated, basically for a given loads recoil the best way to make recoil less is by adding mass, aka heavier gun. The spring cant change the mass it can only change the rate that the force is applied. I will say that glocks newer gen 4 springs do help with the snappiness of the recoil in the smaller compacts and sub compacts but im not sure if a change in weight would be worth giving up reliability.
    Its a glock 23 and I was trying to find a way to make it a little easier for her to shoot and control while at the range. When I leave the factory one goes back in but just something for her so she can enjoy it a little more without have to sell it and buy a 9 or buy a conversion barrel. I have a 9 at the house but if I can't find 9 ammo then I can usually find .40. Then she can shoot the .40 without the much snap. That's why I was asking about the recoil spring and if they really even do much if you change it by 2lbs.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sleeping. Feeding kids. Lol.

Deviation from the factory setting of more than a pound or two, can create reliability problems. In a self defense gun, it's not worth it. Sell the .40 and get a 9. JMO.

Ill probably just stay with the factory thank you sir.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Check out some "40 minor" loads from Atlanta Arms. Its a reduced recoil load but still meet the 125,000 power factor for action shooting competitions. A friend shoots alot of this load with his G23 with zero problem. Prices are reasonable as well. I hope you all have a fun time at the range.

Top Bottom