• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghettobuster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been searching for a recipe for this caliber. Iam using bluedot,155grain rainier plated bullet,wsp. alliant gave me one but it did not include bluedot.
    the book i have has 8.2 as starting load. does that sound right?

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    could be. I haven't used BlueDot but my recipe calls for almost 6.9grs of Hodgden's. I'm switching over to Titegroup so I can run around 4grs and still get the same performance. Hard to believe that powder's can vary that much. I also use a 185gr fmj bullet and my OAL is 1.125 if that helps.

Ghettobuster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks for the input. I know I saw that. but it seems a little hot for me. I just don't see why there is so much difference between recommendations.I even saw some at 5.5 starting charge. I wound up using a 8.3g charge can't wait to test fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have not tried it, but I agree with you.. 11 grains with no given starting charge seems a bit on the stout side! Don't forget to let us know how your 8.3gn batch performs! -Josh

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Hornady book list it as: Min-9.2 grs for 1000 fps, Max-11.2 grs for 1200 fps. Bluedot wouldn't be my first choice for 40s but it's probably all you can get.

Rick

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Did you have a chance to shoot your batches yet?
    Last weekend I had the chance to shoot a buddys recipe with 7.0gr of Longshot pushing a 180gr PowerBond. FANTASTIC LOAD!

Since I can't find Longshot locally, I"ve been experimenting with Power Pistol and AA#7. Power Pistol does pretty well with Rainers bullets and doesn't leave as much 'crap' in the gun either. After this batch of AA#7 is gone, I don't think I'll be going back.....

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Longshot too and love it. I use 6.5 grains behind a 180 grain (various bullets) and get between 990-1090fps with great accuracy. Ubers use to have a good supply of it but not sure now.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I don't have a chrono. I can only speak to its accuracy, which was very good. My CX Storm carbine really grouped well with it.

Tapped on my SGS3

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do this at your own risk! But... with blue dot you could start out at 10 to get it cycling, 8 gr on a 155 is probably gonna be dirty and weak. Honestly I think 11 wouldnt hurt anything, ive got a recipie for a jhp 150 that calls for 10.4 start and 11.5 max load with blue dot. Now thats for a lighter bullet and jacketed not plated so obviously dont go that high but just be careful.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks for the info SB. If only they had some of the other powders I used in stock, I'd make that HAZMAT fee more worth overhead....

Ghettobuster

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    tried those loads out ,no problems didn't notice any difference from the factory loads. on initial inspection it doesn't seem any more dirtier,or any unburned powder. cycled fine no rejects.:usa2:

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Win/win.
    But I know its getting time for a (semi) progressive press soon. life is way to short to be standing over a turret press trying to crank out 500+ handgun rounds....

Top Bottom