• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    General question...

What difference if any would a flash suppressor, compensator (brake & FH together), or straight brake make on the function/life of a suppressor? Have half-hearted looked for this info online with no information. I'm going to be purchasing another muzzle device or 2 and want to make the right choices.

Does it all boil down to how the device would perform without the suppressor or else?

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I use an integrated brake as a quick attachment only. It makes it easy to move the can between three different guns. Thunderbeast Utra 9 btw

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You'll need to purchase MDs compatible with your suppressor. Usually the designs are specific enough that your predicament is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tend to use brakes on my short suppressed guns only because in theory it takes some of the beating the blast baffle would normally take. As far as if they change the amount of suppression, not that I've noticed, but I'm also supposed to wear two hearing aids.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The can is an aac. It's required a 51t attachment. At that point they make a flash hider, a comp, and a brake.

Question was, does one increase reliability/longetivity of a can better than another or otherwise. Is a brake more harmful on a can due to its direction of muzzle blast than say a flash hider?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Redirection shouldn't matter. The blast is gonna hit the baffles no matter what direction it goes in. I like brakes most of all though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    +1 with donr.

I use brakes on my short barrel stuff. I know AAC brakes are more expensive than the brake/fh options. I've got a couple of brakeouts instead of the full brake for my AAC can. The theory is the heat/pressure/unburnt powder/etc leaving the barrel will hit the chamber/s in the brake before they hit the blast baffle. The brake will take the punishment and will lessen the wear to the can itself. I think the theory is sound but don't think I'll ever shoot enough to see the difference. If you look in the chambers on a brake that's been shot some, you can see wear that will usually get less pronounced in subsequent chambers. That's force that would have otherwise been passed on to your blast baffle. The only downside with the brakes/comps is they're obnoxious with the can off.

I've got a couple of 16" barrels that I put flash hiders on. I did that because I shoot them more unsuppressed and didn't want to deal with the brake report. The longer barrel is supposed to be less wear and tear on the can. The AAC flash hiders have the "ping". I've heard you can grind one of the tines down to stop it. If it doesn't bother you, they still work fine.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    There you go, get the brake. My can uses a brake mount and the manufacturer says the same thing Don and Nate are saying.
    80849550c561e405e705366ddd6077da.jpg

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you purchase a fully auto rated suppressor it will be extremely expensive, probably impossible to wear it out in this lifetime

Top Bottom