Public Service Announcement- Check your steps on your shooting houses.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ouch! Glad you’re ok.

I had to do some maintenance on my condos this year. Overlaid 2x10 over some of the existing steps that felt a little weak in the middle and redid some bracing. Stands are 10-12 years old now so was time. I hired a local carpenter for a few days to help me out as it was a 2 man job.

Every couple years I take a 2 gallon pump sprayer with some of that mild/mildew killer and spray them down. Cleans then up nicely and slows the rot. I do my swamp stands every year as it’s more damp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your a tough old bird, a little tumble out of a tree can’t take you out!

FYI - Drywall screws snap easily and are not made to support weight. Most screws are not.

Nails are better but the best way is to build the steps into the runner and use screws to hold them in place.
    Relative actually breaking, nails are better and is what is used to secure hurricane clips in your roof, but screws if both screw and wood are intact will not as readily loosen.
    Dry wall screws are definitely a no no for exterior use because as you say they are brittle and not intended for treated wood. If one wants to use screws, decking screws are a better choice. I have used drywall screws before I knew better.

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was invited to a deer camp today. As I was walking up steps to the blind I thought about this thread. Fortunately the stairs appeared new but the railing down one side was a little low to be of much use. Had a great view. Heard a deer grunt. Didn’t see any though. Beats working.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I cut and weld all my ladders out of steel pipe, have heard too many horror stories on injuries due to rotten wood ladders. Steel pipe and 6010 rods have never failed me. I fell about 18’ once from a stick ladder, was up going to remove a lock-on and two straps holding the ladder just below the stand broke, as I knew my fall was inevitable, I kicked away from tree to fall into a clump of youpons to break my fall. I broke 3 ribs and I paid the price with pain for about 3 years in my left hip. I was lucky and don’t use lock-ons now because of that, I must have been around 50-52 yrs old when that happened. 62 now and healthy and always think about the consequences of taking an unsafe gamble, be smart out in the woods, think it over before doing it. I build all my shooting houses on trailer frames now so no more climbing for me other than steel ladder stands

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    there is always time to fix something that could cause you an injury in season. To reiterate what Bowhntr6pt said, I remember tearing down an old tower that I wanted the 4X4 legs to build another one. Middle of the day I am sledgehammering the thing apart and throwing it all of it in a trailer, banging around like all hell broke loose. I look up and there are several does in the road I drove down, looking and walking toward me to see what was going on. I have taken a Bobcat under the stand I was hunting and shot a deer within 5 minutes of that from the same stand. I have scared deer off a corn pile and dropped dogs to run hogs. They pooped and peed all around the corn pile and when we came back through an hour or so later the deer were back on the corn eating. All that to say I'm not sure any of it is a big deal as some make it out to be during season.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the biggest take from a lot of these stories is deer are curious! I've seen a Doe with a couple of fawns checking out a bulldozer shortly after it was turned off and the driver left to go back to camp!

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I think the biggest take from a lot of these stories is deer are curious! I've seen a Doe with a couple of fawns checking out a bulldozer shortly after it was turned off and the driver left to go back to camp!
    That's it! Hunt from a bulldozer ! The road will always be clear.

On a sadder note, my friend from work, fell from a stand 12/9/23. his is still in an induced coma with a breathing machine at a Montgomery Hospital.
    Jester's right. It is not that big a deal/benefit to climb them trees.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At dark was leaving my shooting house on the hunting camp. Got to the 3rd from the top step, went to turn around and latch the door and the step gave way. I must have looked like whil e coyote.
    Straight down I went. Hitting the 3 3 inch drywall screws down my right side. Luckly I was wearing my ACU pants today. Not a mark on em. Me on the other hand.... Yikes.
    Whacked my ribcage hard on the step rail on the way thru. Have no idea how those 3-3 inch screws missed my guts. Landed on my feet. Was way out in the camp, my bride was in her house about 1/4 mile away with a dead phone battery. I was VERY lucky today.
    Need to inspect my (new of course, winchester rifle, with leopold scope) darn it. Have to shoot and see if it's ok.
    BE SAFE.
    BE EXTRA CAREFUL
    INSPECT THOSE STEPS!!
    Is this what someone means when they say, "I really got screwed?"

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    there is always time to fix something that could cause you an injury in season. To reiterate what Bowhntr6pt said, I remember tearing down an old tower that I wanted the 4X4 legs to build another one. Middle of the day I am sledgehammering the thing apart and throwing it all of it in a trailer, banging around like all hell broke loose. I look up and there are several does in the road I drove down, looking and walking toward me to see what was going on. I have taken a Bobcat under the stand I was hunting and shot a deer within 5 minutes of that from the same stand. I have scared deer off a corn pile and dropped dogs to run hogs. They pooped and peed all around the corn pile and when we came back through an hour or so later the deer were back on the corn eating. All that to say I'm not sure any of it is a big deal as some make it out to be during season.

I am completely convinced that deer just don’t care…. Run coons all over the property all night, drive the truck to the middle of the food plot to put out corn, take a pi** next to the corn while talking loudly to people, drive away and 5 minutes later, yep there they are on the cam.

Scent?? Shoot, my dad takes a camp stove to his condo stand and has shot more than one deer in the middle of cooking bacon and eggs.

Vehicles? It’s been several years since I’ve parked my side by side anywhere but right next to my blind. Had a small buck try to rub on the metal roll bars opening week this year!

Seriously, they just don’t care!

Top Bottom