APOD Firearms

PSA - Using lightened triggers on your deer guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Had a club member damm near blow his wife's head off last week. He had taken his ultra deluxe CF 6000 deer mega blaster to a gunsmith for some "trigger work".
    He cycled the bolt and upon closing, BANG!!!!
    He and she are damm lucky. He said his finger was no where near the trigger and I believe him.
    Point is be very careful who you let work on your stuff. It really could kill you or someone you actually love.

*** I'm a huge fan of hunting rifles with the bolt release feature while still on safe when chambering.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    All sort of failures here. Pointed in safe direction or not. Why was there a live round in the chamber while closing the bolt? If that happened indoors I bet some bells were rung. Was it striped from the magazine or was it placed on the lifter? How did a live round enter the chamber and why? A reputable gun smith would have check his work with a dummy round before turning the gun over to someone that was not aware how it would react to closing the bolt.

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    All sort of failures here. Pointed in safe direction or not. Why was there a live round in the chamber while closing the bolt? If that happened indoors I bet some bells were rung. Was it striped from the magazine or was it placed on the lifter? How did a live round enter the chamber and why? A reputable gun smith would have check his work with a dummy round before turning the gun over to someone that was not aware how it would react to closing the bolt.
    They were loading their rifles getting ready to go hunt. The rifle has a detachable mag and stripped one into the chamber. Weapon went off when bolt closed.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    the first thing that gets checked is will it fire when bolt closes after trigger work or hard bolt close after that...then will it fire when you tamp the recoil pad on the ground..then when the safety goes off and on....and I ain't even a gunsmif.

@Bowhntr6pt ..just about bet if it did it once it will do it again.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    the first thing that gets checked is will it fire when bolt closes after trigger work or hard bolt close after that...then will it fire when you tamp the recoil pad on the ground..then when the safety goes off and on....and I ain't even a gunsmif.

@Bowhntr6pt ..just about bet if it did it once it will do it again.
    Would it make sense that these checks be done before handing the gun over to an unsuspecting owner that loaded it without checking for himself to see if the gun was safe to handle with live ammo in it? Similar to the baldwin case. The armorer also bears responsibility for passing a dangerous weapon along. I have come close a couple of times to a negligent discharge. It was only the hand of God that prevented it from occurring.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Would it make sense that these checks be done before handing the gun over to an unsuspecting owner that loaded it without checking for himself to see if the gun was safe to handle with live ammo in it? Similar to the baldwin case. The armorer also bears responsibility for passing a dangerous weapon along. I have come close a couple of times to a negligent discharge. It was only the hand of God that prevented it from occurring.
    The scariest ever for me was having a woodchuck in my scope and squeezing the trigger when the scope blacked out .....a horse walked in-between... to this day i don't know how it did not fire as i was a hairs breath of the shot . Other times i found a live round in guns handed to me but always found them when i checked , i have also handed back a weapon because i did not know how to clear it

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Would it make sense that these checks be done before handing the gun over to an unsuspecting owner that loaded it without checking for himself to see if the gun was safe to handle with live ammo in it?
    absolutely

I doubt that the round had much to do with it...it was just in there when it happened

Top Bottom