• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    I started reloading in 1979. I've done some experimenting in that time. I have not reloaded in a while due to health reasons. I have a friend who is going to load a few boxes of .223 Remington for me. My question is, have any of you seasoned reloaders ever substituted a standard or small magnum pistol primer for a standard small rifle primer? If so, what were your results?

Thanks for any info!

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I use standard small pistol primers in .22 hornet with great results.

If the .223 you're loading for is an ar, I might be hesitant to use standard small pistol, but would give magnums a go. (Floating firing pin and all)

Reactions: FLT

Edogg

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I’ve watched over the last few years is that spp, spm, and sr primers are pretty interchangeable in pistols. I’d guess that other than in an AR or other rifle with a floating firing pin, you should be ok.

Here’s an interesting video about substituting for 9mm.

That said, you could always try to trade for what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know that during the plandemic, CCI went on the record that THEIR small pistol MAGNUM primers and their small rifle primers were identical and could be used interchangeably. The only differences between the two being the packaging. As for other brands, I don't know. I've used plenty of SRPs and SMRPs in pistol loads over the years. Again, best option whenever you change any component is start low and work up to your desired velocity/power if at all possible.
    In an AR, I'd be hesitant to even attempt a workup with standard SRP's as you might get slam-fires or pierced primers.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Max psi load for a pistol is typically much lower than a rifle psi. I loaded rifle primers in 9mm and had a few light strikes. I think the cups are thinner on pistol primers

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I know that during the plandemic, CCI went on the record that THEIR small pistol MAGNUM primers and their small rifle primers were identical and could be used interchangeably. The only differences between the two being the packaging. As for other brands, I don't know. I've used plenty of SRPs and SMRPs in pistol loads over the years. Again, best option whenever you change any component is start low and work up to your desired velocity/power if at all possible.
    In an AR, I'd be hesitant to even attempt a workup with standard SRP's as you might get slam-fires or pierced primers.

Is there vid or email/interview saying this?

Top Bottom