• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for opinions on a brush hog (rotary mower) versus a flail type of mower. I'm not looking for the mulching types that are available on skid steers, but if there is an option for a 3 point attachment, I am all ears.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    What type info are you looking for? I know you see them on Craigslist sometimes. I just sold a 3' I had for one of our smaller tractors on their. Bought a 60hp Kubota a year back with a 6' bushog so I didn't need the smaller one. Don't know what your wanting to know though. As far as brand, you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Are you meaning the ones that look like a drum? I looked into the ones for the front of a skid steer a couple years back and they are like $30,000 for a new one. I found one on eBay for under $10,000 but just don't know if I can justify it.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Are you meaning the ones that look like a drum? I looked into the ones for the front of a skid steer a couple years back and they are like $30,000 for a new one. I found one on eBay for under $10,000 but just don't know if I can justify it.

Seen some brand new at a lower price, but I was more curious at the cut quality.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'm not looking for a mulcher. Just a decent mower.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I bought a 5' bush-hog from AgriSupply for just under $1400 freight included
    It's a medium duty and the spec's state it will cut up to 2" but all I've done so far is mow my field
    When I was through it looked I had used a finish mower
    AgriSupply.com is their website

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

No thats not what I'm looking for. A flail mower is no where close to a mulcher.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO - - -> A flail mower is used for cutting fields. Maybe tall grass and weeds. The ones that I have seen are pulled behind a tractor. There is a drum that is 6 or so feet long and 18-24 inches or so in diameter. There are rows of short lengths of heavy chain the full length of the drum and all the way around. It is turned by the tractor PTO.
    A brush eater (don't know the real name for them) has a large drum also with rows of carbide teeth all the way around it. It is carried in front of a skid steer. It is turned by hydraulics and will chew up all brush,stumps,trees,etc. These are super expensive. All the hydraulics and carbide teeth alone cost big bucks. --- SAWMAN

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This here is in Sean's wheelhouse, where is he?

RH

Why yes, I'm known as "the Lawnmower Boy".

OK, strictly my opinion but this is based on my ass sitting thousands of hours on tractors and mowers (notice I didn't say "walking behind").

Flail mowers: excellent cut, extremely high maintenance unless someone has come up with a new setup. We had one for a while cutting 22 acres. Way too many cutter heads, great for golf courses and Bermuda but the average person doesn't need that kind of finish cut. What Sawman is thinking about is the brush cutter flail mowers. Those are made to eat what's in front of them.

Not sure what you mean about a Rotary bushhog. I've used rotary mowers and they too cut very nicely but need maintenance. I've been told they make rotary mowers now that self adjust and self sharpen but I can't imagine that working too well. Could be wrong.

Regular bushhog (free swinging blades): I use a 7' plain old bushhog on a 68 HP New Holland and with the blades sharp it cuts as pretty as anything I've ever seen. Bushhogs, even though their made for brute force, cut just fine. The secret is sharp bladed, not the dull tree buster edge. To me, this is perfect. Almost zero maintenance. Once you get the angle and speed right you're golden. Only maintenance is sharpening blades (probably not needed that often) and check the gear box oil, then go.

How many acres are you cutting? I also use a 3 deck wing mower (Bushhog brand, 11' cut) and you can cover some ground in a hurry and also have a fantastic cut. Downside: Maintenance. I used to cut about 60 acres a week with this setup. 9 blades, 47 grease fittings. Sharpen and grease every two weeks and that took most of a day.

Probably no help, I don't know much about modern (made after 1998) flail mowers. I just remember it took way more maintenence than my wing mower.

Added: You do NOT want to mow behind a skid steer and yes I've used them. The mention of the tracks is spot on. Don't care how easy you go, you are going to destroy ground. I've got one sitting in my back yard right now and it's the Cat low ground pressure, non agressive track setup. That just means it digs 3" deep berm in a turn versus 8". Also, you get real tired of riding behind a deck when it's throwing crap in your face. Tractor and 3 point for mowing pretty.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    IMO - - ->
    A brush eater (don't know the real name for them) has a large drum also with rows of carbide teeth all the way around it. It is carried in front of a skid steer. It is turned by hydraulics and will chew up all brush,stumps,trees,etc. These are super expensive. All the hydraulics and carbide teeth alone cost big bucks. --- SAWMAN

These are what I was thinking of. Yes they are expensive but I still want one. Not sure if it's true or not but I was told my 90hp bobcat skid steer wasn't strong enough for one. After hearing the price I just never looked into it anymore. Can't justify the cost.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wait, what are you wanting to cut? If you want to destroy stuff then you want something like I'm using. Davco 7' brush cutter. The flywheel/blade mount weighs at least 400 lbs. Hydraulic motor. It's designed like a bushhog but everything is almost tripled in strength. I chop up 2" trees, branches and roots to mulch size. I've cut down much larger trees than that. It's on an RC100, hundred horse, and not much stops it.

Just Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Sean! I will be working on 80 acres or so. Need to cut right of ways and borders. Plus do some thinning of some 1-4 year old long leaf pine saplings. 16 acres are CRP, so I need to maintain the ground cover to meet the criteria from the USDA on removal of the invasive species. I'm also considering hiring someone with the skid steer mulcher for the initial cut and then just maintain the paths afterwards. All great info you have provided. I appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone else that has provided input too. Always good to see your input SAWMAN!

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you need that DR of mine to cut any small walking paths just let me know. I will bring it over for lunch (all I can eat of course).--- SAWMAN

Top Bottom