• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yallwatchthis

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just bought my son a h&r hand rifle in 300blk because of the short barrel youth stock and low recoil it just matches up as a great youth hunting gun, his first deer/hog rifle. My question or area I'm seeking opinions on is a muzzle brake the gun has a threaded barrel and I was looking at brakes but don't want to put a $150 brake on a $350 gun, any "additions" to this gun will be 100% function and 0% looks so are there any cheaper (not to sacrifice quality) brakes that are effective you would recomend. It's going to be his 7th birthday present and I'm pretty sure I'm 10x as exited as him about his birthday now.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My 300BLK Handi

I have a NEF/Handi/300BLK for some time now. Great gun !! It is perfect for the hand loader because you do not have to worry about seating bullets to mag length or enough power to operate the action.

Also,I really believe that the Handi/BO would be a great gun for the new shooter/hunter in that it is short,light,short LOP,and easy to load and unload for safety. Also IMO it has enough power for ethical kills on NW Fla hogs and deer at the closer ranges.

I suggest that you fit this gun with a 1-4X20 Leupold or a 2-7X33 Leupold. As far as a brake ..... make sure that you understand what a brake really is and forget putting on a flash suppressor. The gun is threaded 5/8X24 so just about any brake designed for a .308" caliber will do. I have a AAC -51T on mine and it works great. They are kinda expensive and I am sure that you can get a brake for $50 or so. Look at Midway,Brownell's,and basically GOOGLE muzzle brakes.

JP makes some good brakes as do a ton of other companies. Try to check out the feedback re. the brakes that you have in mind. Some actually work ..... others ..... not so much. Remember also,what they look like is not much of an indication of how they mitigate the effects of recoil.

Make sure that the ammo that you pick for him will insure that the bullet is made for the slower vels. Most .308" bullets are no good for use in the BO. Use nothing subsonic for hunting. Try to stick to a 125gr and under at the fastest vel possible. Use the Barnes 110gr Black Tips if they are accurate in your gun. A 125gr NosBalTip is good as are several others that will open effectively at the slower vels.

Great of you to buy this weapon for your son. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Of course I am bigger than a 7 year old, but I find the recoil to be so low that I feel a brake would only increase the noise level. I have around 3000 rds through mine. It is so fun to shoot.

Right now I cannot shoot due to having a vitreous hemmorhage, otherwise I would put a muzzle brake on mine just to see what the effect is. Dead bird, I can bring a brake to the range Wednesday so you can try it and report the results. I have the brake I took off my XCR .308 that was causing too much noise when shooting.

Last edited:

Yallwatchthis

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the replies the box of ammo I got was Hornady 110gr ballistic tip, I figured the less "lead" the less kick and 110gr is plenty of bullet for our southern deer and hog so I'd try that first to see how it performed. I'm also looking at the Redfield 3-9x40 scope but not set on it yet for sure. My son is small framed so recoil was a big factor but I just don't trust a .223 or .243 for an ethical kill, when an excited 7yr old is pulling the trigger and the 300blk has so much more to offer in "larger" projectiles.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What I have learned about the Handi after owning them for some 30years. Remembering that they are a $300. gun.

* worth the $300 ?? YES !
    * can be quite easily modified ?? ABSOLUTELY !
    * can they be made "accurate" ?? ABSOLUTELY !
    * aftermarket parts are available everywhere
    * parts for most guns are interchangeable
    * the trigger can be effectively lightened WITHOUT taking the trigger out of the gun. (My Handi/BO trigger is <3lbs)
    * the break open action can be easily modified to be opened quite easily and the bbl to fall down without a push.
    * the extractor/ejector cam be turned into just an extractor without any problem
    * the bbl and or chamber can be polished very easily
    * the chambering can be quite easily changed --> a 357mag can become a 357Max;a 45LC can become a 454Casull or even a 460S&W Mag(on a SB2 frame);a 45-70 can become a 45-90 or a 45-120;etc,etc,
    * Ackley Improved can easily be accomplished(generally gives you another 100-200fps(my wife shoots a 30-30AI)
    * the guns will take fairly stiff loads.
    * the guns will take "cat sneeze" loads with the use of Trail Boss or H4895 powders.(I shoot a 440gr out of my 500S&W Mag at 650fps)

YWT, lemme know if you need any help with that Handi. --- SAWMAN

Medic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another cool mod is an M4 style stock. I've seen a few guys mod their handi's for kids that way.

Top Bottom