• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Fired four shots and got three. Neighbor lets me hunt for two weeks a small strip of his land where the deer don’t bed down in. Saw six. Two outside my hunting zone. Two out of shotgun range. Two in range that I got. I then took a stroll in my goat pasture. Saw one and got it.

20 gauge CZ Bobwhite. One bbl set for full choke and other bbl improved cylinder for short or longer distance if I don’t goof and pull the wrong trigger. #6 shot.

IMG_0135.jpeg

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Too many worms this time of year here in the Deep South. December-January is prime time for a squirrel fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yep I eat ‘em! I’m not a great cook, so here’s what I do. Small ones just use front and rear legs. Big ones use legs and body.

Soak meat in salt water a couple of days. Put 4 squirrels in crock pot with beef stock. Cook at low for 8 hours or until meat is tender. Debone. Put in oven at 350 degrees with bbq sauce slathered on until meat is hot. Let cool and eat.

Came out of my shed and saw pine nuts raining down. Told wife I’m gonna shoot. Sat in folding chair watching the tree until I saw it. Just got my 4th of the season about 10 minutes ago.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yep I eat ‘em! I’m not a great cook, so here’s what I do. Small ones just use front and rear legs. Big ones use legs and body.

Soak meat in salt water a couple of days. Put 4 squirrels in crock pot with beef stock. Cook at low for 8 hours or until meat is tender. Debone. Put in oven at 350 degrees with bbq sauce slathered on until meat is hot. Let cool and eat.

Came out of my shed and saw pine nuts raining down. Told wife I’m gonna shoot. Sat in folding chair watching the tree until I saw it. Just got my 4th of the season about 10 minutes ago.
    Today I learned that there is a season on these things down here. :)

Growing up in the North, we used to just kill them whenever we saw them. They would get in our feed bins and make a mess. Farmers hated them getting around the barns.

SlimSights

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This was last year. We hunt state land so we can’t go until November. It’s something my family and I look forward to every year. We soak em in a concoction and have a big squirrel fry. Fun to shoot and good to eat! Don’t worry I have the coon away to some other folks.

Attachments

• 98D9D49E-94F4-434A-8B93-8D79F24CF574.jpeg
      98D9D49E-94F4-434A-8B93-8D79F24CF574.jpeg
      840.8 KB · Views: 64

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Got back from borrowing a couple of 7mm bullet molds to find more pine seeds raining down. Spotted the squirre, got out the suppressed .22 this time, and got the 5th squirrel of the season. Swept pine seeds off some objects in the area so I can see if more squirrels come.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Got back from borrowing a couple of 7mm bullet molds to find more pine seeds raining down. Spotted the squirre, got out the suppressed .22 this time, and got the 5th squirrel of the season. Swept pine seeds off some objects in the area so I can see if more squirrels come.
    Do you like using the .22 better or the shotgun?? I grew up using the 22 but would like to try the shotgun on some.

airspeed272

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How are you guys cooking them? I hunted them often in Colorado and could never get a good recipe dialed in to get rid of the game taste. Tried a few different ways including soaking them in buttermilk and then tried milk overnight, frying, grilling etc

SlimSights

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How are you guys cooking them? I hunted them often in Colorado and could never get a good recipe dialed in to get rid of the game taste. Tried a few different ways including soaking them in buttermilk and then tried milk overnight, frying, grilling etc
    Soaking them in a shot of vinegar to a half- gallon of water helps with gaminess. Salt, pepper, and flour. Then we fry them like back-strap. Making a gravy afterwards, and simmering the bigger ones in it, after being browned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom