• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    So today, Saturday June 13, I drove over to Jim's Firearms to see if they had a particular gun that I was interested in that is out of stock everywhere else, including Buds Gun Shop. First OMG, yes, they had it. WOW. From reading all of the forums I know that it is taking an extremely long time to get approval back, sometimes hours and hours. The salesman told me to be prepared for a wait of four to six hours. Said to just go about my business for the rest of the day and that they would call me when the approval came through. The salesman said that of the twenty guns that they had sold so far, and it was only 11AM that they had only gotten approval back on two. Cool, no problem, I can come back when the approval comes through. No big deal. I really want the gun.

So, they hit transmit on the computer to the ATF while telling me about just two out of twenty that they've had approved so far. While we are talking he looks at the computer and says "three". I look at him with a surprised look and say "me"? He says "yes". Twenty seconds for approval. Wow. I've already bought lottery tickets, perhaps the gods will smile on me again. Just unbelievable, 20 seconds to get approved to buy a firearm, and with that CWP home with me it went. :)

Last edited:

jmfillin1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So today, Saturday June 13, I drove over to Jim's Firearms to see if they had a particular gun that I was interested in that is out of stock everywhere else, including Buds Gun Shop. First OMG, yes, they had it. WOW. From reading all of the forums I know that it is taking an extremely long time to get approval back, sometimes hours and hours. The salesman told me to be prepared for a wait of four to six hours. Said to just go about my business for the rest of the day and that they would call me when the approval came through. The salesman said that of the twenty guns that they had sold so far, and it was only 11AM that they had only gotten approval back on two. Cool, no problem, I can come back when the approval comes through. No big deal. I really want the gun.

So, they hit transmit on the computer to the ATF while telling me about just two out of twenty that they've had approved so far. While we are talking he looks at the computer and says "three". I look at him with a surprised look and say "me"? He says "yes". Twenty seconds for approval. Wow. I've already bought lottery tickets, perhaps the gods will smile on me again . Just unbeliebable. 20 seconds to get approved to buy a firearm.
    I've went through that same procedure, they've (not jim's) told me on at least two separate occasions that it could take some time for the approval to return and for me to go grab a bite, or look around at other things. Before I even had a chance to walk out of the door, it gets approved, and the seller always seems surprised by that. It's never taken over 15-20 minutes or so, and Ive purchased a decent amount through FFLs, though I still prefer private sales most of the time if possible. I like the quick turnaround, and I try to restrain my conspiracy theories within moderation; however, I do find that somewhat strange that the majority of their customers have to wait so long, yet mine go through quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm clean as a new whistle. Mine always comes back instantly. There is always remarks about it. Maybe you are squeaky clean too.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I did 3 this morning. Two were solidly over three hours, the third was just shy of 4 hours.

All concealed weapons holders

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At what point is it almost as bad as a waiting period. The half a day time frame for an approval is ridiculous. No way it should take that long. Some folks don't have hours to wait especially not knowing how long it could be. I bought one just before all this mess and it took 30 minutes. It was right when things were going crazy. I thought that was forever.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe things have changed. It was always relatively fast for me. By the time the price was calculated, the approval was in. Only a very few people in the country have my name. It is swiss, but did make its way into germany. 20 seconds no, never more than a minute or so. I have a CCW and maybe that helps.
    Several months ago was my last purchase.

I do need a lower and maybe I will find out once I find some shop that has them.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Knock on wood, I've never had to wait longer than it takes to make the actual phone call. I made a purchase during the panic with our returned tax dollars and it came back right away, while someone I knew had to wait 4 hours for his to come back. We bought at the same time from the same store. Go figure, I guess.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think most places are selling out of common firearms so not as many backgrounds happening now. A few weeks ago one took two days. Last one took about 4 hrs

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mine usually come back right away (CCW holder, for whatever that's worth) but my last one, last week was submitted at 4PM (central) and didn't come back until the next morning.

Top Bottom