• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Goose

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got good info here, so I've got another issue. I had my first deer rifle, a 30 year old Remington 742 carbine, creakoted 7 years ago, by an outfit that use to operate out of Bay Minnitte. I can't remember the name, but he lived out in Elberta. I was happy with the finish, but when I took it to the range, it fired but wouldn't eject shell. I took it home and cleaned it and pushed out casing and put in the safe and Let it set. I took out again yesterday and tried to shot it again. Once again it fired, but wouldn't eject.

Who is good with these remington autos? It has sentimental value and I would like my Grandson to kill his first deer with it.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had my Remington 700 bolt Cerakoted a couple months ago and I had the same problem. After I got it back, it would extract the case, but it wouldn't eject it.

Come to find out, when the guy blasted the bolt with aluminum oxide to prep the surface, lots of the aluminum oxide powder got into the ejector recess. This caused the ejector spring to bind up and not work properly. I pulled the ejector plunger and spring out, sprayed out the recess with brake cleaner, ran a pipe cleaner through it a few times, put a drop of light oil in there and re-installed the plunger and spring. It's worked great since then.

I don't know that it is the same issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Baywatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't mean to discourage you on your 742. But that is a typical problem with that model. I had one in the shop a few months ago for a refinish, and to try and fix the ejector problem. The ejector problem was never solved. I did everything I could do. My suggestion is to do some searching on the net. You will find a lot of people have had the same issue with no good results. Don't take my word for it. I personally like the rifle, but not sure if I would want one after the issues I had trying to fix one. Good luck, and I do hope you find a solution.

Baywatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is something that you might try, and see if it helps. First I have a question: when it malfunctions, does it break of a little piece of the casing? Get some steel wool, and a piece of wire ( coat hanger will work ) Make a u shape on one end of the wire. Put the steel wool inside the u at the end. compress it so it will hold the steel wool in place. using a drill insert the steel wool into the chamber, and with a little bit of oil polished the chamber. You will have to remove the barrel for this. once you have done this clean the chamber. The next thing you want to do is check and see how much good you have done. using a chamber guage ( preferred ) and see if it goes into, and out of the chamber with ease. If not, polish a little bit more. "do not overdue the polishing." You can also check the fit with an unfired round ( not suggested, it can be dangerous ). If you can get hold of a caliper, you might want to check the diameter of the rounds that you are using. Different manufactures will have different tollerances. They can very as much as a couple thousands of inch. This can also cause your problem. It might work good with another brand of ammo. It is going to be a trial, and error kind of thing. I would do like I said in previous post. Do some net searching, you will find that this is a common problem with the gun.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Hate to tell you this but, from what you have said, to coat a gun they are bead blasted, and when this done some people that don't know any better will end up getting a over spray in side of the chamber, when this happens, the chamber is rough and the shell will not come out , this the same thing I see in a lot of the 742's that get a little surface rust in the chamber. I have tried to polish the chamber on some and it has helped out , not many. I want even work on them any more if this is what is wrong, the factory want even work on them. Get a light and look in the chamber and see if is still smooth. Other wise you have a hand full of parts. If the shell will extract but not eject , it could be the blasting grit is gotten in to the ejecter spring. Just clean it out. just my 25 cents jj

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom