• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ok y'all wondering which would be better for my home defense shotgun I'm building below are pictures of the 2 I'm down to

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Thanks any feedback would be awesome Edd

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      11.8 KB · Views: 229
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      3.7 KB · Views: 265

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would have to say the first one, unless its a semi-auto. The magpul afg, although great on a stationary object, wont allow much purchase for cycling, its not so much a "grip" as it is an ergonomic place to hold. The first one, allows you to grip something AROUND it, like grabbing a flashlight. Given its a HD shotgun, especially in a time of panic, the first will be more forgiving.

JGH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The second one. I have a 12 guage with a home defence kit which is a pistol grip and an 18.5 inch barrel. A retired LEO friend of mine told me to get rid of the pistol grip. His reasoning was that the original stock can be used somewhat as a club in an uppercut type movement if need be. Also, a 12 guage puts quit a strain on your wrist with a pistol grip.

Gentle Wolf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a vertical grip like the top one above on a Mossburg 500 I put together some years ago. To be honest I hated it from day one. It just wasn't comfortable unless you were shooting from the hip.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only additional equipment my HD scattergun wears is a good tactical light and a magazine extension. If they're in the light they are immediately identifiable and shot if needed. The grips look really neat though.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    MOA the reason I'm wanting to add on is because original owner added the tactical slide with full rails and they are rough on the hand so I'm either gonna change it to a grip handle or I really like the look of the magpul 45 grip so as to not have to pull apart the whole gun to change the slide

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    o_O rails on Shotgun forend, not very friendly to your hands. I guess if you wanted to keep it on there, I would go with the 2nd choice as that mimics how you hold a shotgun. Personally I would change it back to a regular forend like what Gravity has links to above.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ok just let y'all know its a Remington 870 express magnum has the 18 1/2 inch fully rifled barrel with rifle sites also came with the vented full size barrel has the utg 6 position hand grip stock and the part I don't like the fully railed front slide

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went with the Hogue full stock with pistol grip and over mold slide,,,,, Very comfortable cradled in the arm and on the cheek.. Ive grown to like the pistol grip comfort when walking the woods.. Less cramp on the wrist,,,,,, Show us what you build when she is together,, Ideas are nice to inspire others to build.. olecarver

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ok here's is the final product after months of trying different ideas only missing one piece I'm looking for the clamp to hold the tube to the barrel waiting on the next local show to see if I can pick one up

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      143.3 KB · Views: 96

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Also have both barrels the one in the picture is the fully rifled slug barrel and I have the the shorter 3in mag accu choked barrel

olecarver

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Emcm2,,, Partner that is one fine looking drop dead build,, I do like,, slug barrel an all.. I ask for it. An you showed it,,,, That has my 870 looking a little out dated,, :yo:

Last edited:

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Thanks so much it had to be one of my favorite builds so far the one we are fixed to start is a mossberg special maverick 88 once we find out year it is so we can start a parts build sheet on it this one I will take pics along the way to show the changes

Top Bottom