• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snow Bird

Master
    I THINK the VA said they wouldn't turn over any records,If so good for the VA and the people that get help there for there problems.

Viking1204

Master
    An executive order to violate patient privacy... Nice!

Should somebody who has a mental disorder and violent tendencies be kept private when it comes to purchasing firearms? If the system worked correctly it shouldn't give out any privacy information. It should allow doctors to make a note in a database that background system can check as to whether this person can safely posses a firearm, it doesn't have to give detailed medical reason as to why a person is denied thus that would support patient privacy as much as possible. I think the key here is something needs to be done to prevent persons with mental disorders and violent tendencies from just walking into a store, purchasing a firearm and ammo, and then going on a mass killing spree.

CCHGN

Banned
    Sheesh, this is a touchy subject. On the one hand , crazy malfunctioning units have gotten by the system and bought guns. Had a system been in place to ID those CMU, alot of folks would be alive. There is definitely a need to ID crazy maddogs, at the GUNSHOP and GUNSHOWS.

So if anyone has a better idea, I'd love to hear it.

CCHGN

Banned
    Should somebody who has a mental disorder and violent tendencies be kept private when it comes to purchasing firearms? If the system worked correctly it shouldn't give out any privacy information. It should allow doctors to make a note in a database that background system can check as to whether this person can safely posses a firearm, it doesn't have to give detailed medical reason as to why a person is denied thus that would support patient privacy as much as possible. I think the key here is something needs to be done to prevent persons with mental disorders and violent tendencies from just walking into a store, purchasing a firearm and ammo, and then going on a mass killing spree.

Yes, but give doctors the sole authority, without question? I mean, they don't even have to state the disorder? No way!! Do you know how many doctors want to abolish guns? Thousands of doctors everywhere will be naming ALL of their patients.

Nope, bad idea, imo.

Last edited:

FNHman

Marksman
    Anybody else remember that Tom Cruze movie? They think your going to commit a crime so they lock you up before you get to make up your own mind.

What a great future we are headed to.

flyandscuba

Master
    Slippery slope... Once the Government totally controls healthcare -- anyone not a party member will be deemed "mentally defective".

My solution to crazies with guns & mass killings: Eliminate gun-free zones and allow armed citizens to be present legally. No more "soft" targets!! Every time the crazies went to a target where they had little fear of encountering a return of force...schools, government offices, a theater with a no gun policy, etc. Crazies may be crazy -- but rarely are they stupid -- they go where they can get the highest body count. Nine times out of ten a crazy with a gun will turn it on himself (ending the rampage) as soon as they encounter a return of deadly force... Statistics don't lie.

CCHGN

Banned
    IN the Lakeland News today...
    One Deemed Insane, Man Has 36 Guns

http://www.theledger.com/article/20140102/NEWS/140109880&tc=email_newsletter#gsc.tab=0

TAMPA | A man who shot a trucker to death in 1992 but was judged to be criminally insane seemed nervous Saturday when stopped for speeding east of Gainesville, a deputy reported.

David Harris Dunaway, 58, was wanted by federal authorities, the deputy learned. A grand jury in Tampa had indicted him on a gun charge Dec. 18, alleging that he had a pistol and 50 rounds of ammunition, illegal for someone with Dunaway’s medical history.

But in a search of his green Honda van, the deputy found more — 36 guns, 4,629 rounds.

Something needs to be done, whatever's in place now ain't working.

CCHGN

Banned
    Slippery slope... Once the Government totally controls healthcare -- anyone not a party member will be deemed "mentally defective".

My solution to crazies with guns & mass killings: Eliminate gun-free zones and allow armed citizens to be present legally. No more "soft" targets!! Every time the crazies went to a target where they had little fear of encountering a return of force...schools, government offices, a theater with a no gun policy, etc. Crazies may be crazy -- but rarely are they stupid -- they go where they can get the highest body count. Nine times out of ten a crazy with a gun will turn it on himself (ending the rampage) as soon as they encounter a return of deadly force... Statistics don't lie.

Still, I can't believe that in Virginia Tech and the theater in Aurora, etc, that NO ONE was armed. As we see in the "gun free zone" thread, folks carry anyway.

Still, I can't believe that in Virginia Tech and the theater in Aurora, etc, that NO ONE was armed. As we see in the "gun free zone" thread, folks carry anyway.

I've only been carrying for about 6yrs, but it seems to me their are more people carrying/armed today then just a year ago although a lot of people I've met who claim to be armed have one in their car. Their May not have been any armed citizens their or if they were armed they simply choose to only use it to defend themselves and their family. I have to admit I'd be a little scared of poking my head out in a dark movie theater with my little LCP to face/confront someone armed with a rifle or shotgun. As to virginia tech it's possible none of the college kids were carrying, the threat of being thrown out of school is more than most want to risk.

CCHGN

Banned
    I've only been carrying for about 6yrs, but it seems to me their are more people carrying/armed today then just a year ago although a lot of people I've met who claim to be armed have one in their car. Their May not have been any armed citizens their or if they were armed they simply choose to only use it to defend themselves and their family. I have to admit I'd be a little scared of poking my head out in a dark movie theater with my little LCP to face/confront someone armed with a rifle or shotgun. As to virginia tech it's possible none of the college kids were carrying, the threat of being thrown out of school is more than most want to risk.

Well, what about Hasan at Ft Hood. On a darn military base! Not one other person had a gun? I don't know, I cringe to think that folks would have a gun, yet not use it or let other folks get shot just to "wait til they get to me".

Well, what about Hasan at Ft Hood. On a darn military base! Not one other person had a gun? I don't know, I cringe to think that folks would have a gun, yet not use it or let other folks get shot just to "wait til they get to me".

I thought they couldn't carry on base. I get your point and I think a lot of people have also, that's why I think more people are armed today than a couple of years ago. And about not getting involved, with the darkness of a theatre, only seconds to react my initial instinct would be getting my family out but once their safe I'll do what I can but this is also why I'm thinking about a new carry pistol, I couldn't hit much at distance with my LCP.

CCHGN

Banned
    I thought they couldn't carry on base.

Well, most folks can't, but MP's can. My oldest boy was at Ft Hood the year before that happened( went to Iraq and then to Colorado). I wonder if they've added more MP's.

I get your point and I think a lot of people have also, that's why I think more people are armed today than a couple of years ago. And about not getting involved, with the darkness of a theatre, only seconds to react my initial instinct would be getting my family out but once their safe I'll do what I can but this is also why I'm thinking about a new carry pistol, I couldn't hit much at distance with my LCP.

I saw a thing on the news last night on channel15 Mobile. a woman went to her property and saw a man stealing metal off a mobile home there. He came at her with a pair of bolt cutters and she pulled out a revolver and fired shot in the air. He kept coming, she shot towards him, he kept coming. She shot again, he ran off. I cringe at the thought of the number of folks who got guns and are not really prepared to use them.

statdoc

Expert
    it's possible none of the college kids were carrying, the threat of being thrown out of school is more than most want to risk.
    My son has a couple of pistols in his off-campus apartment, but also won't take the risk of carrying at college. His entire future would be destroyed by the left-leaning school administration, and there is nothing any of us could do to prevent it. So instead, he tries to avoid times, places and locations that might lead to muggings, etc. Still no protection against an active shooter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Snow Bird

Master
    CCHGN, You of all people should know that people can't have guns to carry on a mil. base. I am just guessing that MP aren't any better at responding than civ police are.

Viking1204

Master
    Yes, but give doctors the sole authority, without question? I mean, they don't even have to state the disorder? No way!! Do you know how many doctors want to abolish guns? Thousands of doctors everywhere will be naming ALL of their patients.

Nope, bad idea, imo.

I get your point but something has to be done. Maybe some kind of review board is necessary.

Fletch

Master
    Everyone agrees that we don't want guns in the hands of the mentally ill. I think congress should propose a bill that would allow something like this but with proper safeguards and protections for potential abuse.

We don't give them this for free however. It should be tied to 50 state CCW reciprocity and an end to the sham of registering and permitting sbr's and suppression devices.

I understand the slippery slope argument but could support a bill like this. Both sides can claim a victory and we get more rights unless we are an insane person who shouldn't have a gun in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

Top Bottom