• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also I was tinkering around the web today and on spikes tactical forum they have an NFA SECTION with Q&A and form procedures all layed out,great info from people in the know..

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So If I were to buy a registered full auto mac-10 on gunbroker All I would have to give the gov. $5.00? Is that from individual to individual only or can the same be done from a class 3 to individual on a weopon that has been stamped in the past?I supposed that all class 3 weopons apply? I ask being I have never seen a used supressor for sale..Thats the only way I would ever own a SBR if true,even then I doubt it on practicallity alone.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So If I were to buy a registered full auto mac-10 on gunbroker All I would have to give the gov. $5.00? Is that from individual to individual only or can the same be done from a class 3 to individual on a weopon that has been stamped in the past?I supposed that all class 3 weopons apply? I ask being I have never seen a used supressor for sale..Thats the only way I would ever own a SBR if true,even then I doubt it on practicallity alone.

The 5 dollar transfers are only for AOW's it costs 200 to register one, but 5 to transfer. Machine gun's are a 200 dollar transfer tax, along with suppressors, SBS, SBR, Destructive Device etc.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

You rarely see anything, but machineguns and certain rare used NFA items because by the time taxes are paid there is either a loss or break even. For example, if I sold my $200 Huntertown Arms Guardian can I would have to sell it for a loss, transfer it to a NFA dealer (assuming this is not a instate sale) for $200 and then have the end buyer pay another $200 tax. Its illogical for someone to pay $400 in taxes plus shipping, dealer fees and the cost of a used suppressor itself when the end user could of just bought a new one for $200 plus a one time transfer fee.

With NFA, the adage, buy once cry once definitely applies, since more than likely you will be stuck with it for life.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well said, buy once cry once. Get the best you can afford when going NFA. Transfer taxes make it hard to sell used stuff. Do it once, do it right so that you don't have any regrets.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what would I need to get to put a 8.5" barrel on an AR? Is it $5 or $200?

That would be a Form 1 for a short barreled rifle, $200.

There are 2 ways to get NFA items.

One is to make the item yourself using a form 1. Anything that you build is going to be a $200 tax stamp, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, silencer, destructive device, and AOW can all be made by an individual, machine guns are the exception, no new machine guns can be manufactured by an individual.

The other way to get NFA items is to buy items that were manufactured by someone else on a Form 4 transfer, the transfer tax is $200 dollars on all NFA items, with the exception of AOW's, which are $5 to transfer.

If you get an AOW TRANSFERRED to you, it is only $5. This is the only classification that transfers for $5, although it would still cost $200 to make one.

Hope that clarifies things.

Top Bottom