• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Acquired a couple new toys (uppers) recently, thought I'd share. After I swore I was done building AR's I got tempted as follows:

For years I've been on the hunt for an original DPMS Kitty Kat upper. I found just one barrel since but the asking price was absurd so I passed. I had been looking at RRA as they offer a 7.5" FSB heavy barrel but they were not cheap coming in at about $225 plus tax/shipping. I was about to bite the bullet and order when I saw fellow member G-rat had a new 7.5" FSB BA barrel with gas tube at a good price so I figured this would be an economical way to do a build... not being a fan of BA barrels in 5.56/.223 based on personal experience, the price made the risk acceptable... glad I made the move.

I received the old-school/new old stock 4" YHM Lt.-Wt. rail today, and using left over parts, I completed the build Thankfully, the FSB pins were not that difficult to get out. Hit the range a little while ago and could not be happier. Started off with the 1-round bolt hold-open test: passed; loaded two rounds for function: passed; loaded multiple rounds for function: passed. Perfect cycling all around and surprisingly not much concussion. At just fifteen yards the bullets were stacked on top of each other showing excellent stabilization.

I have a Strike Industries PDW stock inbound and will Form 1 another lower when it arrives. Should make for a nice compact travel companion. I'll do some Chrony testing later to see what FPS I'm getting.

Next up is a Remington Arms 14.5" upper. I believe this was reassembled and not one of the Philippine Army contact uppers because despite having all the various desired markings (Serial number inside upper, upper lug marked with R, (some were marked with a P) S marked charging handle, and REM marked heavy SOCOM profile CL barrel) the barrel itself is lacking the AFP prefix serial number at the 6:00 position. However, it does have a MP marked bolt and FA profile BCG, F-FSB, and was in pristine unfired condition. For just $334 to my door, this was an excellent deal. I'm getting a second one and have two of PSA's US PROPERTY marked M4 lowers to SBR.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom