• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gulfcity

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got a used Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag w/ 4x Leopold Scope. I'm not hunting every weekend but will go several times this season. I've always wanted a handgun to hunt with in the thick creek bottoms or woods. Do any of you guys have experience with ammo weights or brands that you prefer. I'm going to zero the scope in @ 50 yds.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is one of mine. Glock 20 with Viridian Laser(high powered,green,true daytime usage). The pistol is outfitted with a Glock OEM "hunting bbl"(6"),a 20" spring,and a few other parts to allow for a fairly smooth 4" trigger pull. Also Tru-Glo TFO sights.

I shoot the Double Tap 200gr WFNGC's (hard cast,with wide meplate)out of it and they cut a big hole for leakage. Hunting with a open sighted handgun is like bow hunting. I always am in a ladder stand,full camo,on a game trail or directly overlooking a plot.

Great fun,give it a try. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00717.jpg
      DSC00717.jpg
      289.6 KB · Views: 161

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I hunted with a Ruger SBH for years. Mine was the 7.5 inch bbl version. Mine loved the 265gr Hornadys but this was before the XTP line was out. Today I would opt for the 240gr Hornady XTP's. They come in factory loads also. It is a super tough bullet for hogs or deer. If you feel that you need something heavier you could go to the 300gr XTP's.

IMO you should sight in your gun for slightly LOW at 25yds. NO more than 1/2 inch. This will put you within PBR(point blank range) out to .....?....far enough. --- SAWMAN

Gulfcity

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the info guys. The Hornady 240gr XTP's is what came with the Ruger and at $20 a box, to me is afordable. I'll consider the 25 yd distance. It sounds like a more practicle distance. I like shooting houses and green fields but there's something about getting deeper in the woods.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hunt with a single action Ruger 44mag since the 60s. Used to use 240 grain bullets. Switched to 180 gr. hollowpoints. When I first started everyone would laugh at me hunting with a pistol. Dont you know you cant hit anything unless it is right in front of you. Duh. Well I lived in Penna. Plenty of strip mines. We would load up the truck with used tires and put cardboard centers in them. I would get halfway down a side and my buddy would start pushing them off. They bounce everwhere. Great practice for moving targets. Didnt take me long to start doing this with a 22., a lot cheaper and no reloading them. The only bad part was my buddy wasnt able to see me and some times they would be coming down to fast. ( you have to reload). Then we would drive around collect them and start again. Also found a good place to do it with a rifle at longer ranges. Really helps to improve your shooting abilitys. I even fire formed brass for this weapon to go full cyl. so I could hunt small game with it. This was long before they came out with the plastic shot cups. Mine also held a lot more shot.

RJ

Top Bottom