• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm 25 years old married with 2 kids, had my first kid when I barley turned 19, so from right out of high school I was kind of forced to just work with what was available and never really sat down and thought about what I wanted to do. And now that I'm trying to think that way I am completely lost on what's out there.
    I currently have a pretty good job, the problem is that it's sales based so when sales don't come in my checks really can suffer, when the work is steady I can make a great living (which is most the time) but during slow times (around winter mainly)I really stress. Especially now that I have a new kid to feed and clothe. The company I work for is owned by my brother in law and he will take care of me anytime I ask and he has made that clear on more then one occasion, and while I appreciate that, I am a proud man and don't feel good about myself when I feel like a charity case.
    What kind of work do you guys along the gulf coast? I would enjoy something that I could possibly turn into a career. I like a more in the field/ hands on job. Just throw me some ideas to maybe get my head going, cause right now I'm stumped.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I graduated college with a Wildlife and Fisheries degree in 2009 and I am currently involved with computers and multi-million dollar equipment doing optimization work in sawmills. I make a good living, especially for my age, and I enjoy my work, but I never would have dreamed of doing this when I got out of college.

I have no idea how that might help you, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Gunslinger816

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Law Enforcement. Guaranteed job security no matter what for the most part. There's a lot of opportunities depending on where you work, retirements not half bad, and the pay is decent. You won't get rich, but I don't usually hurt for much.

Iwb4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like TennJeep said, I graduated with a Biology degree. Worked in a few labs after college. It was boring and low pay. Got into surveying and been doing it almost ten years. I didn't like the office either. It's nice to be in the woods all the time.

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've considered law enforcement, my step dad is a sheriff sergeant in Idaho so that's always been a thought. I'm not looking to get rich either, just make a living. I'll look into surveying too, have hear of it but never looked into it much. I have never been to college, I have my diploma and I'm a level 2 electrical licensed in AL for my job.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oil and Gas, look into pipe fitting or welding. Not quite 9 to 5, but from what I hear there always in demand. Surveying is cool but you at entry level all you will be is a Rod holder. Plenty of stuff out there if you want to get out from under your brother in laws wing..

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    AT&T is getting ready to hire folks in Panama City for Uverse installs

If you can get on with CSX you'd be set

Last edited:

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm working on my paramedic now. Once I get out of the army I'll be going to school for my nursing degree while I work as a paramedic then work as a nurse until ink done school for my CRNA.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Working on power lines has been a great career for me. Gulf power is a good company to work for. If you don't mind heights.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

jclark77

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am also a land surveyor, but I work in the office drafting. I tried a few different things after dropping out of high school (roofing, sheet metal shop, restaurants, car dealership...) and surveying just stuck.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some good advice here. Power company might be what I would go for if starting over. Around here at least. I've done a few things but I thrived in sales. What you don't want is seasonal related sales. Medical, pharma, equipment, made a ton of bucks in those lines. Only thing that scares me in the medical/EMT field is Obamacare and the train wreck that's coming. Not going to get into a political discussion here but I would avoid the health care industry until the train wreck happens and the adults clean the mess up.

Thing about sales (barring seasonal stuff) is that you're only limited by yourself, given a decent setup. When I was in that career I made triple what the next guy did. I don't know what products/service would be the best right now but attitude, drive ( NOT pushy), details and contacts are the key. You don't want a "job". You want an avenue where your only limits are your determination.

I do not envy any young guys right now in this craphole environment. However, I refuse to believe that opportunity is not out there.

The principles that served me best was to be the first one out there in the morning, last one to leave, never bitch, complain or whine. Show the boss you're better than the other guys and want his job, then his boss' job. I don't mean make enemies, make yourself the guy that makes him look good, or, if he's a jackass, blow past him. Success is in your mind.

My oldest daughter went to work for a company when she was 17. First couple of years she effed around and almost got fired. Once she understood how the game works she dug in. She is now 34 and is HMFIC, company car, bennies you wouldn't believe, right hand man of the owner and sitting really pretty. However, she's also wired into the bigger picture. If her company went under tomorrow she could have as good a job within 5 phone calls. Networking (still a viable term). Know people, impress folks with money, captains of industry. I have had so damn many job offers in my day you wouldn't believe it. Why? The money dudes were watching me when I didn't know I was being watched.

What I'm saying is give a positive impression every minute, never show them you're unhappy, stay busy, go the extra mile. Get slack on your job? Sweep the floors, improve the situation, show youre not too good for the crap detail but you're also better than anyone else. Integrity, punctual, positve, smart, always striving to learn. Eager, self starter, ten steps ahead of the game. Let the other guys bullshit at the coffee machine, you're out drumming up customers, following leads. I don't mean be an asshole, let everyone think you're part of the team, while you're climbing past them to be their boss.

Trust me, it works. If you knew my education you would think I have no right to be in the position I'm in. People with Masters degrees have to listen to me. I'm loyal, reliable as hell and always on top of things. Bosses and business owners want the guy that takes the stress and workload off of them.

You may well do this for a while and get crapped on. Never take a setback as a negative. Keep an eye out and move around till you get the right setup. You may not know it when it happens. You may not realize it when it hits you in the face
    Never burn bridges. You get crapped on, move past.

I worked for a true prick for 12 years. He did everything he could to stifle me, belittle me and was always condescending. Today I could put his POS house in mine and have plenty of room for a party left over. Success can be the sweetest revenge.

It is not an easy journey. You WILL be pissed, you WILL suffer setbacks. You WILL wake up and wonder what's the use in this. Trust me, what you DO NOT want to do is not give your best and wake up 30 years from now with no options, no money and a world of regrets.

All of this holds true no matter what the job. There is a lot CEOs of companies that started out as the janitor. Its you and only you that stands between a job and a happy life. Keep your eyes and ears open.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wish I could be of some help..as I have found myself in almost the same position

2 years ago I had a good job with good pay (at least for Pcola)..and then got my knees chopped out from under me..and I've been trying to start over ever since..I am also in sales and have been seen since out of high school but cannot find something that will stick or that I enjoy..it's not what u want to hear but if ur brother-in-law treats u as good as u claim..I would wait a little longer till the job market in Pcola gets better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom