• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't know now, first i buy them complete. But over at 6.8 they all use standard LPK's in the omni and NRA stripped lowers, use all metal with no issues with all calibers but I would defer to Matt's suggestions. I am a put together guy not a builder

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, standard LPK's that are metal will work just fine in poly lowers just when you mix poly and metal parts in the trigger groupings you do not always get standard function, not that it's not fun to dump a mag or go two shot burst when your secondary doesn't engage on your disconnect or but the ATF frowns apon it...

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK, well I leave the NFA group in mine, they are better than any mil spec. Also I did find out recently that for a low price NFA will sell you a thin hammer to use on 22 and 9mm uppers for blow back issues.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will gladly trade you a poly trigger group for a metal trigger group. The poly group, even with the thinner trigger, will not work with my chiappa upper.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok being new to AR builds I have a question about my recently acquired lower from the group buy. From what i understand it is a mil-spec lower. Understand all mil-spec LPK's fit with minor modifications if any. Now my question is does a mil-spec buffer tube fit it? From what ive read the per-assembled Lowers from NFA come with a commercial spec tube/stock.

I guess my 2nd question is what is the major difference between a commercial spec and mil-spec buffer tube? From what i saw online the commercial spec tube is extruded whereas a mil-spec is forged.

Thanks in advance for any guidance..

When I first started, this was one of the first questions I had also, so I researched it and saved my findings. I hope this will help you also.

The main difference is the size specs. They are both made out of extruded aluminum.

botach_2244_2724720204.jpg

BufferTube.jpg

Another difference is the type of threads used (cut vs. rolled or truncated), however the OD is the same, as you can see in the diagram below. The threading provides additional support on a mil-spec extension and are larger because they are cut out of a raised portion of the material, where commercial threads are cut on the tube, with the same thickness as the overall diameter of the tube.

Since both extensions have the same diameter, number, and pitch threads, they will both fit a mil-spec receiver. I have several of both and have swapped then back and forth. However, you MUST match the stock to the corresponding 'tube' diameter. A Commercial stock on a mil-spec extension with be sloppy, and a mil-spec stock will not fit on a commercial extension.

Buffer%20Id.jpg

The mil-spec extension is also shorter to accommodate body armor, whereas the commercial extension is longer and angled more like a traditional rifle stock. Also, they both have an ID of 1", so the same springs and buffers will fit either as far as diameter goes.

With all of that being said, here is a slightly different take on a few of the points: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/564742_.html

Attachments

• botach_2244_2724720204.jpg
      botach_2244_2724720204.jpg
      113.4 KB · Views: 99
    • BufferTube.jpg
      BufferTube.jpg
      12 KB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Correct sir do not mix plastic with metal .Billet and forged mesh all day. And in my opinion I use the Moe stocks as they are only lacking the secondary unneccisarry locking clip and you save forty bones.

Matt, I have both also, but prefer the CTR over the MOE. It's worth the extra money to me to get rid of the loose fit inherent with the MOE, and get a rock solid stock the CTR provides. That's just me, but I'm sure it helps with accuracy also. Besides, the CTR comes with a built in QD sling attachment point which I use on all of my slings.

Top Bottom