• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott Greene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking at casting with the Lee mold for 358-105-SWC in the double mold for a 38 Special and for my 9 MM but can not find any load info for it, Is anyone using these molds for both cal's.

Scott Greene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks bohica793, did not have a powder picked out as of yet, was just looking to see if anyone was using the 105's in both the 9 mm And 38's as I would like to cast both for the 9 mm and 38 an seen that the mold was used for both.

daveb6332

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tried the 105swc in a couple of 9mm's and a .380 and none fed reliably. YMMV

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan on getting back into casting my bullets. Back in the eighties- I used to cut the sprue and dump the freshly formed bullets in a bucket of water to cool it down and set the bullet. Some say this distorts the bullet- has anyone else used this technique?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I plan on getting back into casting my bullets. Back in the eighties- I used to cut the sprue and dump the freshly formed bullets in a bucket of water to cool it down and set the bullet. Some say this distorts the bullet- has anyone else used this technique?

Quite common. It also hardens the bullet. It's better with a soft landing. Some put a towel with a slit in it over the water bucket so that they land on the towel then roll into the water.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quite common. It also hardens the bullet. It's better with a soft landing. Some put a towel with a slit in it over the water bucket so that they land on the towel then roll into the water.

^^^This.

Water quenching can take you +6-10 on the Brinell scale without having to add antimony. Not appropriate for all castings but helpful for particular applications where hardness of alloy is important. For pistol ammo, I have yet to find an application that required harder than 12bhn. The real key is properly sizing the round for the firearm in question.

BRDN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yep...i water quench everything except roundballs

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom