• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i need a bullet puller. if i get one of those hammer kind does it keep the powder where you can reuse it? is it better to get one thatll go in a press?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hammers are not that good unless it's something with heavy bullets. If you are trying to pull something like .223 you will destroy the hammer before you pull many bullets. Yes, they capture the powder.

A collet type puller in a press works best and if you are careful you can reuse most of the bullets.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hammer type works great, I've never had any issues with it but admittedly I haven't it used all that much, just occasionally if I over seat a bullet or boolit.

I do have a .30 collet puller but to get it tight enough to pull a crimped in/tarred in bullet really mars it up. The marred bullet is OK for plinking but I assume it won't add to accuracy.

Rick

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i just want one right now for pulling some bullets in some random cartridges i have collected up just to see whats in there. i have some that i found in the river and different stuff i just want to mess around with. if i can reuse the bullets cool if not i dont care.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Occasional use of the hammer is okay. A hammer will also flatten soft points.

The collet can mar a bullet if it's crimped or glued in. I pulled a bunch of LC53 .30-06 armor piercing bullets that had the black tar. It put a ring on some of them but really not bad.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Occasional use of the hammer is okay. A hammer will also flatten soft points.

The collet can mar a bullet if it's crimped or glued in. I pulled a bunch of LC53 .30-06 armor piercing bullets that had the black tar. It put a ring on some of them but really not bad.

It will definitely flatten soft points and also the polymer ballistic tips. For rifle rounds, I typically hit it hard a time or two to get the bullet moving, then hit it softly until the bullet is almost out then I open the puller and wiggle the bullet out by hand. Takes longer, but it helps preserve the bullets.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the hammer type and ended up putting a small piece of foam in the bottom of it to keep it from damaging the soft points. Works great. I don't typically reuse the powder unless I'm pulling several rounds that use the same powder. I clean the inside first to insure that there are not other grains floating around or stuck to the foam.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the hammer type and ended up putting a small piece of foam in the bottom of it to keep it from damaging the soft points. Works great. I don't typically reuse the powder unless I'm pulling several rounds that use the same powder. I clean the inside first to insure that there are not other grains floating around or stuck to the foam.
    \

I did the same thing only used waded up tissue. I don't do SPs but I didn't want to chance deforming my HP match projos.

Rick

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're just needing to pull bullets occaisionally and have a drill, just chuck the bullet up in the drill and remove the die from your press and run the shell holder up and catch the case rim and back it out. Safe... and minimal damage to the projectile and presto.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can wrap a piece of tape or paper towel around the bullet to keep from scarring the jacket... it's the tightwad method!

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're just needing to pull bullets occaisionally and have a drill, just chuck the bullet up in the drill and remove the die from your press and run the shell holder up and catch the case rim and back it out. Safe... and minimal damage to the projectile and presto.

I'm gonna have to try this. I have some mock-up rounds that I did that I'd like to recover the brass. I could not justify buying a $20 bullet puller/hammer to use it 5 times.

Top Bottom