• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhamilton226

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hope someone can give me some pointers or maybe will be willing to look at and help me out with my problem here...

I have a Springfield Model 56 bolt-action .22lr that is having extraction problems. It will dry-run a clip thru with no issues, however when you pull the trigger, either with live ammo or dummies, the extractor fails to engage and the spent shell remains in the chamber...

I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination but I am good with tools so if it is a simple fix or something I just need to hone down I feel comfortable enough to tackle it...anything else I may need some hands on guidance...

This is my first rifle from when I was a kid and it was given to me by my grandfather who passed away a little more than a year ago so I really want to get this little baby right and functioning so I can pass it on to my kids one day...anyways, any kind of knowledge or assistance from those who know would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jesse

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/
    Here is a link to a possible source for parts for that rifle.....which may be scarce.
    The extractor is probably worn or broken, and the impact from the hammer is pushing the shell out of the bolt head.
    You might also clean the chamber REALLY WELL.
    Get a bright light and possibly a magnifying glass.....inspect the extractor claw....it should have a good sharp hook which can grab the rim of the shell....if its chipped or rounded....time to replace it.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Give the extractor a pull with the tip of your finger....it should be hard to move....but should move.
    You can get a buildup of crud ....which will keep the extractor from working. More often ......a spring will get old and get weak or break causing insufficient force to be applied on the extractor.

Top Bottom