• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I want something simple to install to monitor the exterior of my house and yard. I won't consider anything that requires a subscription or that sends my pictures/videos to "the cloud" or anywhere else. RING is popular, but don't they have access to my device? I would consider a game camera or weather proof security camera. I researched this a year ago and got overwhelmed by all the choices and pros/cons of each. I suffered from information constipation which lead to analysis paralysis and stinking thinking and ended up needing a checkup from the neck up!
    I'm a low tech redneck dinosaur living in a George Jetson world.
    Thanks in advance for any helpful advice and/or suggestions.

sfiturbo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want something simple to install to monitor the exterior of my house and yard. I won't consider anything that requires a subscription or that sends my pictures/videos to "the cloud" or anywhere else. RING is popular, but don't they have access to my device? I would consider a game camera or weather proof security camera. I researched this a year ago and got overwhelmed by all the choices and pros/cons of each. I suffered from information constipation which lead to analysis paralysis and stinking thinking and ended up needing a checkup from the neck up!
    I have a stand alone wired system with 8 IR cameras that records to an overwrite hard drive to monitor the exterior areas around the house. Not expensive or complicated Less than 300 from Amazon

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's all you need. They have systems at sams club.

I bought my first system from sams it was a revo america I would not own one nowadays from them.

My NVR I have now I bought everything separate got about 4k tied up in it but I have cameras that auto track facial recognition collect license plates etc. I like playing with the setup and programming of the system. I can tell one camera to move the other camera. They also can see over a mile away in the dark with the IR built in. The zoom is amazing.

Yea I'm a nerd. LOL

You may call yourself a nerd, but you did it right! One of the best ways to actually catch someone is to have clear enough video to recognize people and be able to read tags as they pass on the street. The tag part is especially true.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    kendive, I’d pay four thousand cash for a setup like that and smile about it . Unfortunately in this day and age a man needs all the security help he can get . I have game cameras all over the farm , and you’d be surprised at the things I’ve seen. But it’s usually after the fact , real time would be a whole new ball game.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I know you said no subscription but……… we have blink cameras inside and outside our house. If you do not need it to record video clips or still shots, you do not need a subscription and it will alert you in real time when it senses movement and send you a live feed to your phone. We do the subscription so it will save video. They are also wireless so you can place them anywhere (Wifi neeeded) and we have one that is still on the original battery after over 2 years. You can have up to 6 cameras on one system

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I know you said no subscription but……… we have blink cameras inside and outside our house. If you do not need it to record video clips or still shots, you do not need a subscription and it will alert you in real time when it senses movement and send you a live feed to your phone. We do the subscription so it will save video. They are also wireless so you can place them anywhere (Wifi neeeded) and we have one that is still on the original battery after over 2 years. You can have up to 6 cameras on one system
    This what I'm getting for the new place.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I have Simply safe - no subscription required, but Id much prefer a system that just records over itself and is hardwired.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I believe the analog stuff I got is made by Northern. It has 8 channels and a 2TB DVR. I can view it from my phone, Ipad, TV or other monitor. Been sitting in the storeroom for about 2 years with 500' of Siamese cable. Had a 0130 visitor a week or so ago that has a fire under me now to install it.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    kendive, I’d pay four thousand cash for a setup like that and smile about it . Unfortunately in this day and age a man needs all the security help he can get . I have game cameras all over the farm , and you’d be surprised at the things I’ve seen. But it’s usually after the fact , real time would be a whole new ball game.
    It's really not the security. When I buy things like this. It's a toy and a learning tool. I like to self teach myself alot of different things. Honestly I have never had an issue with security ever. :)

I think I have used my cameras more for others than for us. Pretty sad. You know the normal kids going through the neighborhood seeing what idiot left there car door unlocked and stealing stuff. We park in the garage so don't have that problem. I have never ever had anyone do anything around our place.

I do have game cameras up at the property but that is for getting wild life pics.

:)

Reactions: FLT

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I believe the analog stuff I got is made by Northern. It has 8 channels and a 2TB DVR. I can view it from my phone, Ipad, TV or other monitor. Been sitting in the storeroom for about 2 years with 500' of Siamese cable. Had a 0130 visitor a week or so ago that has a fire under me now to install it.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    That's what my Revo America system was all Analog with power and coax running to each camera.

Don't want to scare you all but if you have a wireless anything. I can render is useless. But you average crook will most likely not be able to do this... We all would be in trouble if crooks were smart.

nothing is wireless in this system

Jstocks

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look into reolink cameras . I had a cellular one that worked really good, but I think they have a wifi option. It was really nice being able to log into my camera and see what was on the food plot in the afternoon. I could even change the way it was facing remotely. You should have seen the bear that walked up and was looking at it. I logged in and yelled at him over the speaker and he near about turned inside out getting out of there….

Reactions: FLT
    Top Bottom