• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    OK.. 2 days ago some little no account punks shot and killed my Niece's kitten with pellet guns, and now they are prowling around her house because she knows who they are. Her boyfriend/fiance works nights, and she is there alone with 2 small children.
    She has asked my wife and I for advice on guns, and I am of the mindset that she needs proper instruction and to try a few different things to see what she feels comfortable with, and so she has the education and training if god forbid she need to use them to defend herself or her family.
    The problem is as follows..
    1: They are very financially challenged.
    2: She has never fired a gun.
    3: She is 20 yrs old
    4: She lives in Brownsville

Now I am ex-military, and I could give her the basics, but I would feel more comfortable if she had a no-bullshit class on home defense.
    Thanks Mike

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've not taken any of his classes, but JJ (oneshot) here on the forum is highly regarded. She could also probably find a good HD weapon here for cheaper than retail.

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was raised in Brownsville, my deceased Moms house is for sale there, not the Brownsville it use to be!!!!! Yes JJ could give her good advice.

wld1985

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Mike, Does she want another kitten? We have 4-that showed up at are office, have'nt seen the mom cat.. THey maybe 5-6 weeks old, cute and furry looking..

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Call the police, get a dog and a 20 gauge shotgun and contact oneshot for some training.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a Mossy 20 gauge but it has a 28" barrel.. I've been thinking of knocking it down to 20" for her

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Mossy 20 gauge but it has a 28" barrel.. I've been thinking of knocking it down to 20" for her

There you go, I wonder how much a shorter replacement barrel would cost? Then you could save your barrel.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I know people really like pumps, but I think it takes som training for a beginner to not short stroke it under stress JMO.

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There you go, I wonder how much a shorter replacement barrel would cost? Then you could save your barrel.
    I looked earlier at barrels on ebay, and for what a barrel runs its almost cost effective to buy another gun.
    115-180$

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could have her try it with the longer barrel to see if she is comfortable with it then decide if you want to chop it. Good practice time too so she learns not to short stroke it, like Dan mentioned. Plus its always fun to get in some cheap trigger time and she can see what the shottie is capable of.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Contact HeloHunter on this forum. He is an instructor,has a great place to teach the classroom phase,has a good place to shoot(he is the prez of Escambia River Gun Club)and his instructor in the class was a female when a friend of mine(female)took it. My friend has nothing but good to say about both of them.

They also have a bunch of guns for their students to try. From what I have seen and heard,I highly recommend Jeff.

Whatever you decide to do ........ please do not allow her to became a victim. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like what Dan Mentioned. I think for beginners a revolver is best, less things to make the firearm fail. Maybe if your going to give her the shotgun sell it and get her a 38 spl then she can also carry it with her. Plenty ones around to not break the bank.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My vote would be to sell the 20ga and buy a Rossi or Taurus 38 with a 4" barrel and proper sights, or a 9mm Glock or M&P if a bit more funds become available and she can train to manipulate the slide. But, first and foremost, training, training, and more training. Maybe some IDPA once she learns her way around the gun. JMO.

Django

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The reason I suggested shotgun is because she's under 21 and on a tight budget.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me know and I can set up a special class with both handguns and shotgun for her. Highly recommend training before buying a gun.

Until she gets the training, recommend wasp spray. Get the type that sprays out to 30 feet - if she needs to use it, she can spray towards the bad guy then 'walk' the spray into the face...

Jeff
    Cell 207-0366

PS:
    Sawman,
    Thanks!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom