• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm looking for a 9MM 1911, not looking for a rock island. I have several 1911s in 45 I would trade for the right gun.

I'd like a Dan wesson pm9, range officer in 9mm, or similar.

Let me know what you've got!

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    drop the coin and get the salient arms 9mm 1911.....yummy

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    WTB 9MM 1911 5" or Commander

Want something I'm not afraid to take out of the safe and shoot... Those look pricey.

Are you sick of it yet? :D

No Sir. Just got a trigger job on it. Highly recommended. I strongly believe that it makes you a better shooter.
    Contrary to popular belief, I've had most of my guns for quite some time.
    I have a pretty small safe, so if I don't love it it doesn't rate the space. :)

It is actually my 2nd 9mm 1911, the first was a RIA that refused to feed jhp, a deal breaker in my book. Even that was a great range gun though.

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No Sir. Just got a trigger job on it. Highly recommended. I strongly believe that it makes you a better shooter.
    Contrary to popular belief, I've had most of my guns for quite some time.
    I have a pretty small safe, so if I don't love it it doesn't rate the space. :)

It is actually my 2nd 9mm 1911, the first was a RIA that refused to feed jhp, a deal breaker in my book. Even that was a great range gun though.

If it gets your recommendation then it must be pretty nice, I think the only that it is lacking is checkering on the front strap and a fiber optic front sight, the sight is easy, but there is no way I am checkering another front strap!

You think this would be too ghetto?

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...911-auto-checkered-front-strap-prod16409.aspx

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Front strap checkering is really great at helping control recoil, and I'm a huge fan. I had a Springfield Operator that also lacked it, and I did miss it, so I added the Pearce finger groove inserts and they worked great at providing extra traction. With this one, I figured I'd have to add the same or the ghetto insert from you link, but after shooting it, it became clear that there is no need for any such thing on a 9mm since there's no recoil from the tiny rounds on such a large steel gun. YMMV.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What you're saying makes total sense, for whatever reason, I just think that front straps should be checkered, maybe I place too much value on that as a feature it but its just one of those things that I dig. It still surprises me that you can spend $1000 or more on a Colt and they don't come checkered from the factory. None the less I think the Range officer in 9mm is in my near future.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Well that little Wilson piece should do the trick if it works like anything else from them.

Borrowing Wayne's sealed the deal for me, so I got my own. You're welcome to borrow mine if you'd like.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not to derail but my dad drought a 1911 German clone home from the war. My brother ended up with it somehow and sold it to buy booze.

He found it in a drawer and tore it down somehow and couldn't get it put back together. He got a hell of a whippen with a belt when dads could still do that. That was one of my first memories of guns. I remember the gun so well because of the German markings on it. Of course it was 9mm.

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan I had a RIA 1911 GI and it fed pdx and jhp with no problem wish I had not traded it. Been wanting a 9mm 1911 again just don't want to pay that much for one. Cheaper to shoot maybe an at I. Not a big fan of front strap checkering as I like the pierce or pacmayer grips. The finger groves give me a great grip for my fingers. My TRP's front strap is too aggressive for my liking but a great shooting gun. Dan I agree a trigger job makes a big difference in accuracy. My SA GI with it's 4lb trigger and optic sights is crazy accurate!. Got to love the single action trigger. Grats on the RO.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well that little Wilson piece should do the trick if it works like anything else from them.

Borrowing Wayne's sealed the deal for me, so I got my own. You're welcome to borrow mine if you'd like.

I went ahead and got one coming, just saw a deal on them for $719, seemed pretty good.

Not to derail but my dad drought a 1911 German clone home from the war. My brother ended up with it somehow and sold it to buy booze.

He found it in a drawer and tore it down somehow and couldn't get it put back together. He got a hell of a whippen with a belt when dads could still do that. That was one of my first memories of guns. I remember the gun so well because of the German markings on it. Of course it was 9mm.

That really sucks that your brother got rid of it, would be an awesome piece to still have around.

Dan I had a RIA 1911 GI and it fed pdx and jhp with no problem wish I had not traded it. Been wanting a 9mm 1911 again just don't want to pay that much for one. Cheaper to shoot maybe an at I. Not a big fan of front strap checkering as I like the pierce or pacmayer grips. The finger groves give me a great grip for my fingers. My TRP's front strap is too aggressive for my liking but a great shooting gun. Dan I agree a trigger job makes a big difference in accuracy. My SA GI with it's 4lb trigger and optic sights is crazy accurate!. Got to love the single action trigger. Grats on the RO.

20 LPI is pretty damn aggressive, that is what I did my springfield in, definitely not something you want to shoot 500 round out of at once, but it sure isn't coming out of your hands either.

What kind of spare magazines are best for the range officer?

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used Springfield's ss 1911 9mm mags in my RIA and never had an issue.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I'll be ordering Wilson mags (surprise, surprise). Though the stock mags work really well, only problem is the lack of a bumper pad to work with a magwell.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Nothing like a SA trigger.
    1911Junky (Ron @ TGD) set mine at 3 1/4, and it's as sweet as can be for a stock non adjustable trigger.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Sure do. The lower capacity of a 1911 is not a problem as long as you can effectively reload. A magwell helps you do that. Buying one tonight and hope I can make it out on Saturday.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Ian, when do you get yours?
    I shot mine post trigger job yesterday. Accuracy is excellent. However, the reset could be more crisp. I tried doing some fast shooting drills and the mushy reset did slow me down a bit. But, when I switched over to my 45, I found myself going faster than ever because I was much more in tune to looking for the reset and it's very very crisp on the 45. This could be a good thing, we'll see. Worst case, I have Ron replace the internals, no big deal. Great gun still. I look forward to your range report. Here's a pic of mine:
    my3uteva.jpg

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ian, when do you get yours?
    I shot mine post trigger job yesterday. Accuracy is excellent. However, the reset could be more crisp. I tried doing some fast shooting drills and the mushy reset did slow me down a bit. But, when I switched over to my 45, I found myself going faster than ever because I was much more in tune to looking for the reset and it's very very crisp on the 45. This could be a good thing, we'll see. Worst case, I have Ron replace the internals, no big deal. Great gun still. I look forward to your range report. Here's a pic of mine:
    my3uteva.jpg

Ordered mine from firearmsforsale.com @4pm on Tuesday, picked it up from Alabama holster @ 5pm on Wednesday... talk about some fast service.

I haven't shot it yet, I hope to this weekend, I did break it down and lube it up though. Out of the package the slide had a hitch in it just shy of where it engages the slide stop, I am not sure of what was catching or binding, but you could actually get it to hold open without engaging the slide stop... after cleaning and lubing that went away but it was pretty strange. If the gun is broken, I will blame Brant, as he was the first one to rack the slide on it.

I ordered a Harrison Design u notch fixed rear sight with matching front fiber optic, S&A magwell, some G10 grips, an extra 9 round OE mag, one of those cheesy wilson checkered straps, and a few of the 10 round metalform mags to see if they will run.

Gene

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ian let me know what height front sight you ordered. I am seriously considering a RO 9mm as well. I thought about the RIA again or the citadel but for a few hundred more why not go with the springer!

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom