• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    just thinking out loud but if a person took a common Saiga rifle and removed the mag catch , then tack welded a 75 rd drum
    this new rifle would have no pistol grip , no detachable mag , no threaded barrel , no folding stock , no bayonet lug , or any of the other evil stuff that makes it a deadly assault rifle = Right ?

saiga.jpg

Attachments

• saiga.jpg
      saiga.jpg
      12.4 KB · Views: 224

Zeus

Banned For Life
    Unless they changed something I missed, the mag release / detachable mag does not count as “evil”

EDIT> at least in the State / County / Town that I live in .... neither does a drum

Last edited:

Shley65

Expert
    I like it , kinda like the concept of a Ruger Mini .

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Hi Cap Mag=FAIL!! Good thinking tho.

guess I missed that , OK so we tack weld a plate inside that only allows the given amount of rounds the local liberals decide is the max your allowed to have = low capacity / non detachable mag !!!!!!!

then when the $hit hits the fan you drag out the dremel tool or grinder .

bronxbomber252

Shooter
    Wouldn't it be easier to get an SKS and put on a bigger box mag... then you have something you can load quickly with stripper clips and is more accurate than an AK. (in some places, the way the law is written, the capacity limits only end up applying to detachable mags.)

RackinRay

Master
    First, understand I do not know your level of knowledge or understanding on the topic. If aware of the following information, please forgive and ignore. When I bought a Saiga for a bush rifle, I was researching them and kind of fell into researching the whole conversion this.

Actually, if you are looking into keeping compliance with CR922, the high capacity mag alone may not be illegal. I know they make and sell 30 round Saiga mags, and those are not an issue. May be made in the USA, but I believe the issue with the banned imports is two or more of the targeted "bad" features/items.

This site has a lot of information on it, and appears to have links to the pertinent statutes and regulations.

http://home.comcast.net/~navy87guy/home/922r.html

A separate search for CR 922 compliance will offer more reading.

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    like I said , I was just thinking out loud and reacting to Diane Frankenstein's proposed Ban even if it goes no where

"All semiautomatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one military feature: pistol grip; forward grip; folding, telescoping, or detachable stock; grenade launcher or rocket launcher; barrel shroud; or threaded barrel"

my thought was on how to get around the detachable magazine ban with an AK

RackinRay

Master
    I believe it would, just as a 30 round in it now from ANY maker does, since it has no other "evil" features listed.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Wouldn't it be easier to get an SKS and put on a bigger box mag... then you have something you can load quickly with stripper clips and is more accurate than an AK. (in some places, the way the law is written, the capacity limits only end up applying to detachable mags.)

Sks has always been on the ban list. You would be tempted to think that the gun grabbers realized how fast it can be reloaded from stripper clips....but probably not....more likely the pointy thing on the end scares them.
    One saving grace is that some of the European models might be considered antiques...and might be spared. The revered norincos would not be spared....damn china...

Members online

Top Bottom