• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russthemuss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So i am new to muzzleloading. I have done alot of reading and i bought myself a cva wolf after killing two great bucks at 120 yards and 95 yards. With a buddies rifle
    I got his exact setup down to powder and rounds i was so impressed.
    Well when i hit the range i started at 50 yards and the first round was right and high. Cleaned the barrel made adjustments and fired again right where i wanted to be.
    Moved to 100 and the rounds were all over the place cleaning between every shot.
    When i really looked at the ammo the sabos the shockwave came with were the blue ones and i could not even push the round to the bottom of the sabbot without it flowering.
    I was shooting 100gr of powder and and a 200gr round my groups i would say were around 6inches anyone has any info that will help
    Thanks
    Russ

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Double check you have the right bullet/sabot combo for your rifle…I prefer the black sabot myself, a little thinner… especially make sure you seat it properly snug .. my accuracy suffers if I crush a pellet…

Russthemuss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Double check you have the right bullet/sabot combo for your rifle…I prefer the black sabot myself, a little thinner… especially make sure you seat it properly snug .. my accuracy suffers if I crush a pellet…
    Yes the sabbots are the ones that came in the package. The round is a .40 i just dont understand why they would make a sabbot that peddles on its intended round. As for seating i run the bullet down until it seats on the pellets. But not forced onto them

Russthemuss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what i read black sabbots are for .451 and .452 diameter rounds

no woryz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I’m shooting a 50 cal & sounds like your shooting a 45 cal… in a .45 I have I use these… still working it out.. but can’t beat my shockwave combo (yellow tip Nonbonded bullet & black sabot) in my 2 .50 cal’s…..

Last edited:

Russthemuss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m shooting a 50 cal & sounds like your shooting a 45 cal… in a .45 I have I use these… still working it out.. but can’t beat my shockwave combo (yellow tip Nonbonded bullet & black sabot) in my 2 .50 cal’s…..

Yes its a 50 cal but i was just talking round size not round and sabbot

eglinhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The sabbot is designed that way so it separates cleanly and quickly from the bullet. I use the exact ones you have. I had to get a bullet seating jag and work with loose powder charges in order to get better groups. My gun likes 90gr. best. Find a jag that contacts the outer edge of the bullet only. Next time you load on a clean barrel. Mark your ram rod at the end of the barrel. Always make sure you reach that mark when loading. It can change the pressure enough to create bad groups if your not seating the exact same each time. Leaving a big enough gap gets dangerous with high pressure. The mark also identifies missed powder charges or double loading. Muzzleloaders are no different than rifles when it comes to getting one to group. Yours may not like what your buddies likes even though they are the same gun.

Russthemuss

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The sabbot is designed that way so it separates cleanly and quickly from the bullet. I use the exact ones you have. I had to get a bullet seating jag and work with loose powder charges in order to get better groups. My gun likes 90gr. best. Find a jag that contacts the outer edge of the bullet only. Next time you load on a clean barrel. Mark your ram rod at the end of the barrel. Always make sure you reach that mark when loading. It can change the pressure enough to create bad groups if your not seating the exact same each time. Leaving a big enough gap gets dangerous with high pressure. The mark also identifies missed powder charges or double loading. Muzzleloaders are no different than rifles when it comes to getting one to group. Yours may not like what your buddies likes even though they are the same gun.
    Yeah the sabots are blowing apart. I have my ram rod marked already. I am excited though, i bought the bh209 convertion breach plug and decided on 85gr to start with htp hornady 250gr and mmp sabots. I will update once i am able to hit the range saved a ton of money buying bullets and sabots separately.

Top Bottom