• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I have a colt 6920 that I have just about got where I like it. There is some movement between the upper & lower. If possible I would really like to get rid of it.

I have to say that I was disappointed in the fit when I bought it but since this is my first AR I figured thats the way they are made. The two colts I looked at both had it. I am hoping maybe there is a larger pin or some method to fix the movement.

All help will be appreciated.

Joe

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are two diffrent sized pins used,if the pins are tight try the wedges they make,they are cheap drop in parts..

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks! I found some online where the heck does it go. LOL I am sure it has direction with it.

Never seen a firearm that needs aftermarket parts to make it fit together better. Ridiculous!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If it is the ACCUWEDGE type(red plastic) it goes in the very back of the lower UNDER the rear takedown pin.

JP also makes a tension pin that will tighten the upper/lower up to a certain degree. They are $34'ish IIRC. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think I have a spare Accuwedge that I never used. If your in the Ensley area of Pensacola its yours. Keep in mind these only work in lowers that have a low rear shelf.

There's no need for one in my opinion. The fit between the upper and lower isn't a big concern. I've found no problems or accuracy issues in "loose" uppers.

All new 6920s use a standard pin for both the takedown and fire control group. Colt stopped putting in the auto sear block a while ago too and they use full auto carriers in all rifles now.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the offer but I am in Mobile.

It may not affect accuracy much but my OCD does not like it. LOL I can just see some of my buddies picking it up & asking why the hell is there so much play between the parts.

Thanks for the feedback guys there is lots of stuff for a new guy to pick up.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it a factory new gun or frankenar? some Colts used .170 pins to stop installation auto parts in sp2 in some not .155 and they do make 2 piece pins for the issue and yes i love accuwedge. Colt also used large pivot pin lower in preban 6450.

Last edited:

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Man, that sucks to hear that a Colt has that bad of a fit from the factory.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every AR that I have, along with my sig 55X rifles have a little wiggle to them. Bothers me, but it is what it is.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To an AR guy it is probably not bad at all. If they make an aftermarket part to fix it then more rifles then colts have a problem. Seems to me it is inherent in the design but they should come with the part to fix it if its a known issue. The accuwedge reviews seem to have alot comments about DPMS with the same issue.

I have seen no accuracy issues (all 100 yrds or less)but coming from a hunting guy it ridiculous. Yes I am a little OCD. LOL I am used to rock sold bolt actions were nothing moves. I am a nobody but to me nothing should move in a well designed & put together rifle. Its not a shot gun with a 12" pattern.

Joe

Last edited:

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I get your point for sure, what really gets me is when I shoot my 22LR upper a lot and it starts to have a gritty feeling as it wiggles.

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an Accurate Armory AR and the upper and lower fit is insanely tight, even after 1000 rounds or so. I always need to use a pmag dust cover just to get the pins out. I was thinking of buying a Colt as my next AR but now I think I might just go with another AA rifle.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My Marine Corps issued AR had enough wiggle and rattle to drive you nuts, but I shot Expert every year with it. Was it annoying, yes, but it got the job done. I now use the ACCUWEDGE in my AR's if even the slightest wiggle is present just because it is cheap.....$4 I think at last purchase.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Crazy Stuff !!

The upper/lower fit that is loose drives me nuts also. But thinking on it...all the lower does is slap the back of the fireing pin.

I had a 24" Bushmaster when in Maine that was used for yotes and it was terribly sloppy. BUT.......it would shoot into the .3's with the 50gr Bergers. I have 5 or 6 of the older Accuwedge and simply chemge them every time I clean my AR's. --- SAWMAN

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed, I've had very few that did not have some slop. I never had an issue because of it. It does kinda bug me though...
    I know some guys who have run the mentioned wedges and did solve the issue

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a Colt target model AR, 24 inch barrel, that came from the factory with the wedge. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Top Bottom