• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's that time of the year again and buggers are starting to get out of control! I grilled some burgers last night and my ass got tore up. anyone have any tried and true methods/products to keep these little bastards at bay?

madeSICC88

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Peppermint oil, most anything insect is deterred (sp?) by it. I used some on my ankles just last night while sanding a table project and didn't get messed with for a few hours, then applied a few more drops and rubbed in and was fine for the rest of the night. I watched some fly up, and bounce off my legs. They weren't interested.
    Also worked to make a pesky cat stop sleeping on my car, applied a few drops on my wiper cowl and hasn't been back since.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never heard the pepermint oil. I will try that. I am starting to think the 40% deet might not be good for you if you use it every day.

Aaronious45

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Peppermint oil works for sure.

You can put a bag of chew in some water in a spray bottle, let it soak and it'll keep bugs off plants.i don't think I'd spray it on me though

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Basil lemon, eucalyptus lemon, peppermint lavender, vanilla lavender & rosemary lemon are a few ideas to try out.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it. Wish I would have asked this last night! Im contemplating cutting my feet off at the ankles right now

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've heard eucalyptus oil also works keeping fleas off of dogs and cats.

My wife makes a concoction of eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil and sprays it on the dogs before they go out. I think she may also use olive oil in it?? I usually spray it on my legs as well but forgot to last night. Works pretty well..

More or less looking for ways to keep them out of my area. Foggers? Zappers? Any other tricks?

posthuman13

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife makes a concoction of eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil and sprays it on the dogs before they go out. I think she may also use olive oil in it?? I usually spray it on my legs as well but forgot to last night. Works pretty well..

More or less looking for ways to keep them out of my area. Foggers? Zappers? Any other tricks?
    My wifes family uses Mosqito Beater in the yard. It is granules that you sprinkle onto the grass. They love it and swear by it. I googled it and see Home Depot sells it.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    http://www.herbsandoilsworld.com/homemade-mosquito-trap/

HOMEMADE MOSQUITO TRAP:
    Items needed:
    1 cup of water
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1 gram of yeast
    1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
    1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
    2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
    3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
    4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
    5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

at no additional charge yellow fly trap:

Blue solo cup, coat w tanglefoot (home depot, get the clear not the brown), hang about 4-6' off ground

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thermal Cell - get at WalMart or a sporting goods store. Do not use in a confined area - made me quite dizzy.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The best bet for skeeter control here in West Mobile (near Big Creek Lake) is a 12 guage..
    Ya hafta be careful though. They're also very effective on Cessnas on low final to the airport.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The best bet for skeeter control here in West Mobile (near Big Creek Lake) is a 12 guage..
    Ya hafta be careful though. They're also very effective on Cessnas on low final to the airport.

Yeah - two of them big ole skeeters in west mobile flew off with my dog. Kept sending my wife out to the back yard on errands...but that didn't work. She kept coming back.

Top Bottom