• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    fallin' asleep as it uploads....I, too, have been up since the wee hours of the morning. All worth it! Had a blast. First stage had issues. I was the second shooter and wasn't expecting to be since the main guy told us we'd be shooting last. It was a simple enough stage so I went ahead and shot it. Damn front of the gun was hitting the small window and causing my gun to jam. Cost me a bunch of time. Other than that, and a few non-shoots, was a pretty good run for my first time.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    So as an idpa shooter, other than round count, more mags, no concealment and power factor, any other major perceived differences when shooting?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Note to self: if they say don't shoot through the window, don't shoot through the window. Lol.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan, there's a single stack division just for you 1911 die-hards! I ran all my IDPA gear just 'cause that's what I have and that's where my brain tells me my gun and mags are located. I thought it would be a hassle trying to go from 10rds in IDPA to 18rds in USPSA, but once you do your stage plan, and reload where you plan, it's a non-issue. Drawing without a cover garment is a non-issue. Shooting from out in the open as opposed to shooting from behind cover as well as no need to slice any pie was also easy to overcome. The two "games" are similar enough that crossing over is simple enough. Now...about that frikkin window....lol

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So as an idpa shooter, other than round count, more mags, no concealment and power factor, any other major perceived differences when shooting?

Its alot more fun with less stage description drama and subjective SO calls. Each cardboard target gets 2 shots and the rest are shoot til down. Shooters can concentrate on shooting and not the ever changing rulebook.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Cool! So no, 3 shots on this one, and 1 on that one, but 2 on those two kind of crap. Sounds promising. Looks like a blast, but definitely looks like it's more geared toward the varsity team.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's more up to the shooter to decide how they want to attack the stage. You start in a starting box. You have x amount of targets. Paper get 2 shots, steel gets 1 or more if it doesn't fall. Unless there's specific rules as to where you can or can't engage a target, it's free range. We set up the "Alabama Titan!" stage and tried to gear it towards moving and shooting down the right side, but was surprised at how many shooters tried, with success, to shoot the far steel targets from the left edge of the foot boundaries. Even TennJeep (the new AlabamaTitan!) changed his strategy once he saw a few guys run the stage differently.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

If you shoot Production, it's very similar to IDPA SSP as far as round count, power factor and starting with the hammer down. No concealment, and it's necessary to have at least 3 mags on your belt, from my experience. If you do things right, you'll rarely (if ever) go to slide lock.

Single Stack requires 165 PF for Major, which is what IDPA requires for CDP.

Like Jogan and ChrisC said, the biggest difference is that there are normally very few restrictions on how to shoot a stage. On several of the stages yesterday, people in our squad shot the stage in 2 or 3 different ways. You gotta play to your strengths and trying to game it in actually encouraged.

I've found that adapting your stage plan as you go is very necessary. On Stage 4 of my video (https://youtu.be/gZcFfwzN4rA?t=59s), I yelled "Oh no!" at my first reload because I planned on shooting 2 more targets before I reloaded. However, after reviewing the video, I made the right call because I shot 16 rounds up until my reload. I only had 19 in the gun to begin with, so I didn't have enough to shoot the next 2 targets like I planned. Thankfully my subconscious kicked in and made me reload when I really needed it. If you go back and watch my first match's video (https://youtu.be/UbEsdwTaKB84), I went to slide lock twice when I shouldn't have.

Top Bottom