• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Time again for my annual Memorial Day weekend post......

As we all set about getting to where we are going this Memorial Day weekend, with the freedom to celebrate as we wish, let’s take a minute to remember the cost of that freedom. Since 19 April 1775 when the “Colonists” entered into war with Britain, approximately 1,354,664 plus “Americans” have given their lives for this nation, with an additional 40,031 still unaccounted for, so in reality that number is approximately 1,394,695 plus. That number does not include the number of innocent civilians killed by terrorist attacks, or as collateral damage.

These Americans have come in all colors, races, religions, and sexes, some hadn’t even become US citizens yet, but died for us, so I considered them to be Americans just the same. Some of us know someone who was killed fighting for and defending this freedom. Whether it was a long ago or recent relative, neighbor, coworker, parent, child, etc, we are not immune to the price paid.

Think about it, over 1.3 Million Americans have shed their blood, dying on domestic and foreign battlefields. Battlefields the world over are stained by American blood. Some of those heroes still lay undiscovered where they fell. As in the past, today we have families that have an empty seat at the table and for them family gatherings will never be the same. For a lot of them Memorial Day is spent gathering around a gravesite sharing stories of their “Hero” while shedding tears. In reality they are not just their heroes, they should be and are our heroes also. For them Memorial Day isn't a once a year event, for them it's a daily event.

So regardless of where or how you spend your “Hard Earned” 3 day weekend, remember the price paid, how many lives lost before they really started. Remember FREEDOM is not FREE, and has been paid for by those who loved us, loved this country, and loved life, the same life they gave for us.

The battle for freedom is never truly over, let their sacrifices not be forgotten, let the price of freedom not be forgotten, let them not be forgotten.

May God bless our nation and those who have protected it to their last breath. Everyone have a great and safe Memorial Day weekend, and remember to take a moment of silence to reflect upon the price paid for that freedom and to remember and thank those whom paid for this holiday with their lives, America’s war dead!

A few poems come to mind....

Soldier

I was that which others did not want to be.
    I went where others feared to go,
    And did what others failed to do.

I asked nothing from those who gave nothing,
    And reluctantly accepted the thought
    Of eternal loneliness should I fail.

I have seen the face of terror,
    Felt the stinging cold of fear,
    And enjoyed the sweet taste of a moment’s love.

I have, cried, pained and hoped,
    But most of all, I have lived times
    Others would say were best forgotten.

At least someday I will be able to say
    That I was proud of what I was…
    A Soldier.

By George L. Skypeck,

The Crosses Grow On Anzio

Oh, gather ’round me, comrades; and
    listen while I speak
    Of a war, a war, a war where hell is
    six feet deep.
    Along the shore, the cannons roar. Oh
    how can a soldier sleep?
    The going’s slow on Anzio. And hell is
    six feet deep.

Praise be to God for this captured sod that
    rich with blood does seep.
    With yours and mine, like butchered
    swine’s; and hell is six feet deep.
    That death awaits there’s no debate;
    no triumph will we reap.
    The crosses grow on Anzio, where hell is
    six feet deep.

-Audie Murphy, 1948

In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

John McCrae – 1872-1918

Last edited:

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I never liked Billy Ray, but this one still gets me. To all who paid the ultimate price and gave their all, our family will always thank you, always respect you, and will FOREVER HONOR YOU !

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    To many forget that its a memorial day. A day to remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice, gave all, paid the ultimate price, and whose families would never again see them... all so right and justice would prevail. This weekend is hard on lots of people, myself included. I remember my grandfather David, my dear, cherished friend Elli and many more who fought and survived but have long since passed. Friends from high school that made the ultimate sacrifice during the GWOT and my many friends who live with disabilities, nightmares, and Gulf War Syndrome. I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for them all and reverence of the highest order for those who gave all. I don't grill, party or drink heavily just because of the 3 day weekend, but I do think of them and contemplate what they might have done/been if they survived...

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Statistics say that at any given time, at the most, only about 5% of the living population will have served in the military in any capacity. Much less those that have sacrificed all, and also those that managed to endure to achieve retirement. I too cannot "party" on this day. I'll function and blend with the crowd, but my heart will be heavy.

For those that have gone before me. I am honored to walk your path, thank you for the lessons you have imparted. I strive daily to live up to what I believe are your expectations. You are not and will not be forgotten. Thanks. With heavy heart, and tears in my eyes, I send my crest with you
    th-681510220.jpg

For those that managed to finish the race. Minds, bodies, and lives changed forever. I understand. I feel it, too. I may not know you, but you are family. Thanks.

Last edited:

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To many forget that its a memorial day. A day to remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice, gave all, paid the ultimate price, and whose families would never again see them... all so right and justice would prevail. This weekend is hard on lots of people, myself included. I remember my grandfather David, my dear, cherished friend Elli and many more who fought and survived but have long since passed. Friends from high school that made the ultimate sacrifice during the GWOT and my many friends who live with disabilities, nightmares, and Gulf War Syndrome. I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for them all and reverence of the highest order for those who gave all. I don't grill, party or drink heavily just because of the 3 day weekend, but I do think of them and contemplate what they might have done/been if they survived...

Here's a meme that helps explain it to those who don't understand the meanings of these holidays......

Memorial Day Vs Veterans Day Vs Arm forces Day.jpg

Top Bottom