Mandatory Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gaijin

Shooter
    From Channel 3 News in Pensacola:

Lawmakers in six states have introduced bills to require that gun owners purchase liability insurance.

The bill in New York, for instance, would require a gun owner to carry $1 million worth of liability insurance. It would cover any damages stemming from "negligent or willful" acts with a gun. But the idea does not seem to have a lot of support around the local area.

Mike Bates is a radio host at 1330AM WEBY. He's also an outspoken advocate of the second amendment.

"The requirement to have a liability insurance is a backdoor attempt at gun control. They are doing nothing than infringing in the right to bear arms. If they can't outright prohibit it, then they want to tax it," Bates said.

David Reed owns David Reed Insurance. He says offering a liability policy for gun owners could be problematic.

"Liability insurance is basically to cover people who did unintentional acts," Reed said. "If somebody gets a gun and shoots someone thats more of an intentional act, not sure how insurance could cover something like that. And another thing that I've looked at, if gun owners are required to buy liability insurance, then they maybe become a target for criminals break-in into their homes, hoping to get shot or injured and collect off a million dollar liability policy."

Supporters say it will cut gun violence through financial incentives. For example, owners who take gun safety courses could see lower rates. Bates says it's just another way lawmakers are picking on gun owners.

"Of course it's not needed," he said. "It's already illegal to use a gun illegally."

The bills have been introduced in a handful of states, but Florida is not one of them.

Liability insurance for $1 million in coverage for gun owners is estimated to cost between $1,600 and $2,000 annually.

Scrooge

Marksman
    We are seeing every concievable idea spew forth from the anti's in their never ending effort to "infringe" upon our 2A. Expect to see many more tactics to make things tough for us gunners - hopefully we srill have enough common sense reps to keep beatin' 'em back! AND, obama will always suck...

outside9

Master
    Is requiring a person to have liability insurance going to save lives?

ksenter

Master
    wouldnt that require registering guns to be insured? I have to have insurance to register my vehicle.

jussayin

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman

Only the lives of dirtbag criminals...robbers ,rapists...ect.

Scrooge

Marksman

Does vehicle ins reduce traffic fatalities... I don't think so. One of many "ideas" to make gun ownership too expensive for a lot of us!

Scrooge

Marksman

barebones1

Marksman
    This is not an attempt to “back door” your gun rights. This is a front door attempt to reach your wallet! Insurance industry is just trying to cash in “big surprise” on the current feeding frenzy. Anyone care to calculate the # of CCW permits verses the number of “negligent” shootings. This is a HUGE cash cow for insurance companies!. Hell, Insurance owns plenty of politicians. ( just like the ones who introduced those bills) . More BS from our politicians

Ken232

Marksman
    Ok lets try this...when ALL criminals are forced to carry Liability insurance for harming people and the Government can PROVE every single solitary one has it..I'll carry Insurance for my gun and until then NO.

Scrooge

Marksman
    Ok lets try this...when ALL criminals are forced to carry Liability insurance for harming people and the Government can PROVE every single solitary one has it..I'll carry Insurance for my gun and until then NO.

Yep, add me to the NO list....

Scrooge

Marksman
    This is not an attempt to “back door” your gun rights. This is a front door attempt to reach your wallet! Insurance industry is just trying to cash in “big surprise” on the current feeding frenzy. Anyone care to calculate the # of CCW permits verses the number of “negligent” shootings. This is a HUGE cash cow for insurance companies!. Hell, Insurance owns plenty of politicians. ( just like the ones who introduced those bills) . More BS from our politicians

Doing what they do best....

Zeroed in

Master
    Quote: "The bill in New York, for instance, would require a gun owner to carry $1 million worth of liability insurance. It would cover any damages stemming from "negligent or willful" acts with a gun."

Two things I'd like to know;

1st, I wonder how many people will go out and try and "use up" their 1 million dollars worth of insurance, after fuming over having to pay endlessly on their insurance premiums, over a period of time. Seems this will only increase the gun violence they seek to prevent....

2d, I'd like to know what Insurance Company's were paying off lobbyist to push this law?????

Very obvious it's the Insurance Companies who will be "bleeding" the Law abidding citizens to "Death", not the bullet.....

blazein

Shooter
    Look alittle closer as well. If you get caught without it the SOBes want to charge you with a felony. and we all know what that does to your rights to keep and bear.

wildrider666

Master
    We the people should impose a Darwin Law. When anyone tries to impose stupid crap on your freedoms, you must eliminated the dumb-ass. It will stop the spread of of ideas centered on castrating the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.

If the Government makes me a criminal; I assure everyone: I will be the the worst nightmare of a criminal I can be to the last breath.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom