• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok..I'm pretty sure I'm overlooking something super simple..but here goes nothing

I have a Sig 1911 I got early last year..unfortunately I don't get to shoot it near as much as I want but it has been to the range numerous times..well as of the last range visit (after I was finished shooting) I took gun out when I got home to clean it and was unloading mags..well now the bullets seem to be nose diving and is VERY hard to push rounds out with my thumb..I ended up loading gun and just manually cycling until mag was empty..not sure what to do or what may have caused this

Any help is apprexiated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I figured that would be the 1st response...but what do I do with the current mags...other than destroy them??

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My only guess is it sounds like your followers may have popped out of the spring somehow, I don't know if those mags can be taken apart, but if they can, try putting them back together.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So when you cycle your pistol, the rounds come out ok? That sounds like a perfectly normal mag to me. Can you see down into the mag? Is there rust down there?

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes rounds came out when cycling..took more effort to cycle but still worked..I will check the mags for rust and any other debris

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the mags function fine in your firearm who cares what they do when you try to push the rounds with your thumb. They didnt build the mags to feed with your thumb, they are made to feed in a firearm

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes rounds came out when cycling..took more effort to cycle but still worked..I will check the mags for rust and any other debris

OK, with a an empty mag, can you push the follower down into the mag? Does it hang up on anything?

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just took apart and cleaned mags (plz be patient as I am no gunsmith)..the followers seem to get hung up about half an inch into the mags then have to be pushed loose..while loading the 1st 7 rounds go in easy and last really isn't a problem but once in mag I have to manually tilt it upward so that I can push it out..as stated by others it feeds fine when in firearm..so am I just being a typical 1911 noob or should I be concerned??

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    well, you should be able to load and unload your mag and nothing should hang up. Some folks, when grabbing and handling mags, tend to squeeze them too tight there. Do you have a micrometer? or something you can get the exact width and then run it all along the mag and see if it's pushed in right there?

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No but the inlaw probably does..ill take it over there when I get a chance..if out of whack can it be pushed out without doing even more damage or is it time for new mags??

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sometimes you may drop them & dent the mag. I can unload my sig 1911 mags with one hand. I use my thumb to push the bullets out from the rear,one at a time. The first one may be a little tough but the rest slide right out with ease. Sounds like you may need a new magazine.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No but the inlaw probably does..ill take it over there when I get a chance..if out of whack can it be pushed out without doing even more damage or is it time for new mags??

Well, I mean, you can look down the mag and see if it's straight or has a dip in it? It may be just one one side. I'd hold it up to the light and look from the bottom. You should be able to see if there's an indentation.

Centermass556

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think Joe and CCHGN are on the right track...I have seen on a few mags, where the follower will get a burr and get hung on the seam...

At first, I was thinking weak spring...it may be something to consider, especially if you left your Magazine loaded for a long period...But I don't think this is the cause.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CCHGN and Joe are definitely on the right track. If the mag just now started doing this and did not do it before, then you have dirt and or grit in the mag restricting the movement of the follower, have dented it I somehowust enough to catch the follower or a weak spring. Could be a combination of the 3. I have seen spring and follower combinations that are not at the correct angle thus causing the ammo to nose dive every time. Also check the feed lip on top of the mag to ensure they are not bent in or out. I have a pile of followers and springs you can try out if need.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's $40 worth of peace of mind IMO.

well, they can get bent too...lol You'll find that I'll encourage folks to be confident to work on their own gear, so that they can get their stuff back into play. I started out with those"$5" mags, they can get running as good as the high end.

On the IPDA thread, there's concensus of dumping mags on the ground, even high dollar mags. Folks will need to know how to work on them if they do that,,,lol . Myself, I'll hold one in my mouth before I let it hit the ground, but that's just me. Imo, for semi's, the mags are the weakest link. You can have $2k gun, but if the mags ain't right, it won't run.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom