• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I had a pretty nasty neck injury that even after surgeries there are complications. Regardless, I can't handle the recoil of my .308 or even a friend's 6.5 creed. What would be the lowest recoiling rifle that could take deer out to 100 yards (maybe 150) as most of my hunting is in the lowlands where even 100 yards is rare as hell.
    Thinking maybe a .357 mag lever gun, figure it would be pretty damned tame and reloading for it would be a breeze (and I have the supplies) to do so. Not sure the recoil though with full-power magnum loads, but I don't imagine it being too bad. Last time I shot a .357 rifle was years ago, and we were only shooting .38's and it felt like a .22lr.
    I don't do a lot of hunting, but I really want to have the capability to go when the opportunity arises and have a gun that if I shoot, I won't be eating 800mg ibuprofen like candy and alternating ice and a heating pad for the next two days.
    What are some of your other recommendations?
    Even shooting handguns isn't as enjoyable as it once was, which sucks. I can handle .22lr fine, and even 9mm and .38 for a few dozen rounds before it gets painful, but damn last time I shot my .308 I felt like I was in a car wreck the next day.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    5.56 ruger bolt action might fill your desire sir
    I've never considered 5.56/223 to be a very good deer round, personally. I'm sure a lot of deer have been taken with one, just on the smaller side of what I've ever considered ethical. Granted, my life has changed, so maybe my opinions should as well.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Might try the remington reduced recoil 308. I use it to very good results. Recoils about like a 223.
    Those are pretty light bullets, meaning they wouldn't likely group that well out of a 1:10 twist like a heavier pill would. Might do great in a 1:12 twist like the Browning rifles use though.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I do reload, so as long as I can get the right brass and projectiles (and dies) I can tailor other loads. I experimented with some lighter recoiling rounds with my rifle, but got crappy results. Either they were unpredictable in grouping or they wouldn't expand in a water jug when fired

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I'd be perfectly happy using a 77gr TMK for deer.

Take a look at this:

I used to use this:

Screenshot_20240219-183501.png

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Try some of C.E. Harris's Reduced Recoil Cast Lead Loads. There are some hard hitting loads that recoil very little. Only 13 grains of Red Dot under a 150 grain cast lead bullet and your ready for a wild game dinner!

Rational Mind

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    What about an AR-15in something like .300 BO or 350 legend? Maybe 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel? I have no real experience with any of those though
    The 24" rossi 357 lever action is very light recoil, even with heavy loads, also the 7.62x39 soft point is a very underrated hunting round with very little recoil and right on par with the 30-30. You wouldn't wrong with either choice.

Bodhi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ever consider taking up handgun hunting? A 44 revolver will easily take deer out to 75-100 yards with a med-level load that isn't a wrist-buster.

Given where you hunt it might be an option?

zombieh8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    300 black out. My (small) 6 year old shoots it no problem with hand loaded 110 grain Barnes. Of the 3 deer shot this year (one at 156yds) only one took more than a step (about 15yds into the woods)

Attachments

• IMG_2866.jpeg
      IMG_2866.jpeg
      6.6 MB · Views: 25
    • IMG_3008.jpeg
      IMG_3008.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 26

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Ruger ranch in 350 legend with an ultradyne muzzle brake. That's what my son hunts with and it has very little recoil and we have had good results on some pretty big deer.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a pretty nasty neck injury that even after surgeries there are complications. Regardless, I can't handle the recoil of my .308 or even a friend's 6.5 creed. What would be the lowest recoiling rifle that could take deer out to 100 yards (maybe 150) as most of my hunting is in the lowlands where even 100 yards is rare as hell.
    Thinking maybe a .357 mag lever gun, figure it would be pretty damned tame and reloading for it would be a breeze (and I have the supplies) to do so. Not sure the recoil though with full-power magnum loads, but I don't imagine it being too bad. Last time I shot a .357 rifle was years ago, and we were only shooting .38's and it felt like a .22lr.
    I don't do a lot of hunting, but I really want to have the capability to go when the opportunity arises and have a gun that if I shoot, I won't be eating 800mg ibuprofen like candy and alternating ice and a heating pad for the next two days.
    What are some of your other recommendations?
    Even shooting handguns isn't as enjoyable as it once was, which sucks. I can handle .22lr fine, and even 9mm and .38 for a few dozen rounds before it gets painful, but damn last time I shot my .308 I felt like I was in a car wreck the next day.
    Something with a muzzle break plus a Limbsaver recoil pad. A .308 Winchester with both of those probably wouldn't be bad at all. They make the recoil pad in different thicknesses. It's a rubber thing that slips onto the end of the stock.

GreeZdLightNin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What about an AR-15in something like .300 BO or 350 legend? Maybe 6.8 or 6.5 Grendel? I have no real experience with any of those though
    I used to shoot a 6.5 Grendel. Barely more recoil than 5.56 and very accurate. If you don't wanna use a 5.56, hard to beat 6.5 G.

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    6.5 Grendel. There are bolt actions and AR's out there. I have taken 15 deer from Arizona , Tennessee, and Alabama from 40 to 300 yds. Only one took more than 10 steps and all were dead by the time I walked up. Low recoil, accurate, and similar trajectories to 308.

Top Bottom