• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdubbs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am looking to build my own 1911 and am wondering if anyone has suggestions for where to find barrels and frames? Thanks!

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, besides buying them new from suppliers, like Brownells, etc, you could scour the gunshops and gunshows and even yard sales, etc. for all the parts.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Barrels all depend on how much work you want to put into it and money. You can get a match grade barrel that requires a lot of lug,hood cutting and fitted to get a precise lockup and fit, or you can get a drop in barrel that may only require a minimal amount of fitting. Kart make good barrels, storm lake and Wilson combat are good.

Caspians make a great affordable receiver and slide.

Fusion firearms also make great parts and can also get one of their kits where the frame, slide and barrel have all been fitted already, plus they can install the plunger tube and ejector for you and will save you from having to purchase the tools for it.

Let me know exactly what you are wanting to put into it and I can help you with any questions you have. It gets very expensive for the tools to build a custom 1911 and is not worth the expense if you only plan on doing one build. Let me know exactly what you are shooting for and I'll steer you in the right direction.

jdubbs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    appreciate the info! I looked into Caspian receivers and slides and they look pretty nice for the price. I plan on building one to start to get an idea of what I like but i eventually want to build several more, and probably get certification as a 1911 armorer when i get the free time. I was leaning toward a drop in barrel from Storm Lake, not sure on the trigger yet.
    Basically I want this one to be accurate, full size and able to take tens of thousands of rounds.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sweet, welcome to the addiction! You will need to get a good slide file, slide lapping tool (saves the hands), lapping compound, plunger tube staking fixture, sear jig if you plan on doing a sweet trigger job on it, armorers block, punches, good swiss file and needle files, good strong 1/16th in drill bit for installing the roll pin for the ejector, plunger tube reamer...not necessary but handy to have, grip safety jig if fitting your grip safety, trigger stones, good vise, blue locktite, dykem blue marking fluid,cratex wheels,calipers,1911 lug fitting kit(once you get away from drop in barrels), etc and a lot of patience. These along with your everyday gunsmith tools will get you going on building a sweet shooting gun.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom