HD Tactical

Looking into Progressive style presses. Looking for input.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm presently using a Lee 4-hole "Classic" turret press with the usual accessories; safety primer and auto-disk (pro and standard).

Most of my experience was gained loading for 45ACP, .40S&W and 9mm. Then I got an AR-15 and decided to take on reloading for it. A crash course in rifle reloading, a whole lot of spending for more stuff (isn't that what AR means, another receipt?) and I can reload for .223Rem now. I'd like to add 22-250 and 7mm08 to that list. I will, in due time.... Anyway, with all of the steps required in case-prep, and the fact that I just can't seem to gain enough trust with the auto disk powder dispenser (with the powders I'm using for .223 anyway) I'm pretty much loading .223 single stage, but with the convenience of never having to switch dies. I've tried H322 and Win748. Being 'ball' powder, the 748 meters the most accuratly, but anyone who knows the auto-disk system knows you can't really 'fine tune' a load.

The inability to 'fine tune' is my biggest hang-up with pistol reloading as well. Sure, the majority of my loading is 'blaster ammo' but still, I'd like a little more control over how much goes in, and not be so limited by what my press can do. To that end, I purchased an RCBS charge master combo. It's a great unit, but it really slows down the process. Not that I'm in a hurry, but there's nothing wrong with building up to a decent cruising speed while you're reloading.

That's where my interest in the progressive presses comes in. I'm kicking the can between a Dillion (550 or 650) and the Hornady Lock n' Load AP. The high "production rate" sure looks good on both units, and I know that case prep will have to be done ahead time to obtain that kind out of output. But my biggest hangup is on the powder dispenser. Each use a different type, and i"ll presume each have their strengths and weaknesses. I understand that extruded powders like H322 and Varget are tough when it comes to progessive style dispensers. But this is where I want to hear from everybody about their experiences. Good, bad, indifferent, about any style progressive press you use. What do you like? What do you hate? What mods have you made to make it 'better'. I'm especially interested in things like primer feeding and powder dispensing.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone here knows I am a dillon fan. I have never loaded extruded powders but my square deal b throws within 1/10 ov a grain and they claim 1/10 grain on all there loaders. Much simpler to adjust than the auto disk. Dillon has a bolt on the end of the powder bar to adjust and you are ready to go. Others here like diffrent loaders but I would't buy them myself. If you ever brake the dillion they send you a new part no guestions asked. Great custoner service. I wouldn't spend the money on case feeder but get the one with primer feeder and powder feeder . No chains to break or a funkey primer feed. Check out there web site and watch some vids on youtube about problems other loaders have. There are alot of problems on youtube and how to fix them. I don't want to have to rebuild a loader before using it. Whatever you pick HAPPY LOADING

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press and H322 is the powder I use for reloading my 6.8, I haven't had any issues with loading progressive, I think all units take sometime to get use to their likes and dislikes. My press likes steady constant motion and pressure when seating primers, I use APS primer strips and love them. The powder dispenser is as accurate as you can expect from a progressive machine, but is constant in throwing charges, it have a micrometer on it to fine tune your powder load, once again you have to take your time to get it right. I would image all are good, it just takes time getting them set up to run smooth. Hope this helps. Mark

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Dillion 650 is what I use. It is great. But the dillion dies are sporty with the kit you need for each die. I reload 45acp & colt, 9mm 7.62 NATO/308, 223, & 40 . Been using it for years and the dillion guys are great if you have any trouble with the equipment. The warranty is the best in the buisiness. I had an issue with my case feeder and they replaced it no questions asked. It was a little over year old. once i got new one , i sent in the old unit. no issues since then that was 3 years ago.

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My current press is an RCBS Pro 2000. I like the fact it's a five station and the powder thrower stays in the press when changing heads.

If you'd rather have a thrower to go with each head then l like the Dillon.

Dillons are nice, I've owned four. They aren't magic, just very well made presses, like many others on the market.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom