• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have this enfield sitting in my safe, that I have had for 25 years. I have not fired it in 15 years. I occasionally run an oiled patch down the bore just in case. Is this model common? What is the significance of the *? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I thought about putting it on the wall in the living room, because it is a beautiful rifle. Any help would be appreciated.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    The No. 4 Mk I* was made by Long Branch in Canada and Savage here in the US. It's a standard No. 4 rifle with a simplified bolt release method to make it faster / easier to produce during war time.

If you have any interest in selling or trading it, I'm sure plenty here would be interested (including myself). I've been looking for a Long Branch.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    In general, the Long Branch made number 4's have a bit better workmanship/finish than those made in Britain. After all, Canada was not being bombed. Long Branch made are not rare. The first paragraph in Fear21's reply is spot on.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The No. 4 Mk I* was made by Long Branch in Canada and Savage here in the US. It's a standard No. 4 rifle with a simplified bolt release method to make it faster / easier to produce during war time.

If you have any interest in selling or trading it, I'm sure plenty here would be interested (including myself). I've been looking for a Long Branch.

I have this enfield sitting in my safe, that I have had for 25 years. I have not fired it in 15 years. I occasionally run an oiled patch down the bore just in case. Is this model common? What is the significance of the *? I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I thought about putting it on the wall in the living room, because it is a beautiful rifle. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you for the information. I may put it up for sale. I'm not sure yet. I need to do a little more homework.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    In general, the Long Branch made number 4's have a bit better workmanship/finish than those made in Britain. After all, Canada was not being bombed. Long Branch made are not rare. The first paragraph in Fear21's reply is spot on.
    Thank you.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Is the 1300 yard rear sight common? The ones that I've seen online do not have this.

Attachments

• 16769169816669190667825100355583.jpg
      16769169816669190667825100355583.jpg
      395.6 KB · Views: 31

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Is the 1300 yard rear sight common? The ones that I've seen online do not have this.
    Yes. They came with milled rear sights (the most desirable as they offer small adjustments), simple 300/600 sight, and stamped rear sights as on yours. After the war, armorers would often change the 300/600 sights to adjustable sights as they became available to give the fewer soldiers on active duty better sighting equipment.

ilovemy45

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes. They came with milled rear sights (the most desirable as they offer small adjustments), simple 300/600 sight, and stamped rear sights as on yours. After the war, armorers would often change the 300/600 sights to adjustable sights as they became available to give the fewer soldiers on active duty better sighting equipment.
    Thank you for the information. I'm trying to determine the rough value of the rifle, but aren't many available like mine at the moment.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you look on Gunbroker, be sure and search the no longer listed items area so you can see what they really sold for and/or the prices that nobody was willing to pay. Also, check for matching serial numbers, especially the bolt and receiver. Some will also have the serial number on the stock on the bottom side. Some will have the serial number on the bottom of the magazine. Non matching bolt and receiver serial numbers are a turn off and reduce the value in the $50-$100 range for many people. A bright shiny bore with sharp lands and no darkness, pitting, or "frost" is a plus. Every serial number matching is a plus. Original military configuration is a plus.

The partial photo you posted looks like it's in nice shape. What someone paid 20-40 years ago has no bearing on sale value today.

Top Bottom