• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I am planning on buying a new scope for target/bench rifle in 223. This is not a hunting weapon. I plan to shoot out to 600 yrds & later may try 1,000 with this gun or another. Point being I do not want to by another scope if I push things out to 1,000. I am planning on 6 to 25 or higher. I would rathe have too much magnification then to little. I want on that has good focus so I can easily see bullet holes & lines on the target.

I have done some research & leaning towards a couple brands.

Sightron S III 6-24X50

http://info.sightron.com/

Zeiss HD5 5-25X50

http://sportsoptics.zeiss.com/hunting/en_us/riflescopes/conquest/conquest-hd5.html#inpagetabs-3

I thought about the Viper PST 6 to 24 but some reviews say the eye box can be a pain above 22 so that is a big no for me.

The only leopold I can afford is the VX III series & not sure that they are any better then the ones list above.

The most I want to spend is 1,000. I do not care about FFP SFP. I am not even sure I really care about a zero stop. I do want some sort of way to at least mark my zero even if I have to keep track of the number of rotations myself. I prefer locking turrets. I see no reason why I would need a ranging reticle. I would like some wind hash marks in the reticle. 10, 15, 20 Etc....

I do not want to buy a scope with a small eye box at higher magnifications. What is the point of having a scope with a 25 if you can't use it easily. If spending a 1,000 will not get me a scope with good eye box, I may just try a cheaper brand like Millet or something around $500.

I am open to suggestions on brands or things you think I may need that I do not know about.

Thanks Joe

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you're not opposed to buying used, my research has shown that most people recommend trying to find a used Bushnell Gen 1 HDMR 3.5-21x50 for people in the $1000 price range. From what I understand, they are pretty easy to find used, but they get snatched up very quickly.

I have been looking for a long range scope myself, but I plan on hunting with my rifle so I'm looking very strongly at the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP.

Edit: I also wanted to mention that you will probably need quite a bit of elevation adjustment for shooting 223 at 1000yds. The Sightron shows 100 (MOA?) elevation travel, but I didn't see any info on the Zeiss. You might can go with a 30MOA or higher base to help compensate for that, if you're only interested in long range with that gun.

Edit 2: Did a little research and it seems that you'll need about 70 MOA (69gr SMK @ 2900fps) from a 100yd zero for 1000yds. So, in a perfect world, you'd need at least a 20 MOA base and all 50 MOA of adjustment that the Sightron offers to reach out that far.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Please do not take this as a slam or derail of the OP......HOWEVER........personally,I feel that you should reconsider the chambering if you take your ranges out to 1000yds. There are several reasons for this.

1. A 223Rem starts to loose it's initial velocity's at that range,and so do others,however........
    2. The 69-80gr bullets bullets do not have that high of BC(at the longer ranges) to compensate for the darn near subsonic velocities you will encounter. Remember,the BC of the bullet is not simply governed by it's form. It is governed by it's SPEED also.
    3. Wind drift........the lighter bullets gets pushed around pretty much....especially at the slower speeds(time of flight).
    4. Plan on getting a 1:7 twist gun for the longer ranges. Make sure that you can get one in the action that you desire. ESPECIALLY if not a AR type of weapon.
    5. If an AR type action,consider a 24" bbl. in the full bull or semi-bull contour. For long range work,you will need all the weight that you can get.
    6. For 1000yds with a 223Rem you will most likely need a contoured base. Will that work for you with an AR action ??

All in all......I feel that you should seriously consider another chambering for 1000yd shooting. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the feed back guys. TenJeep that all sounds good & I figured I would end up needing a MOA Base. Seems Badger is popular. I will look into them more & how much adj the Zeiss has.

I may have not made myself clear here.

I am not building a 1,000 yard rifle. Right now all I have access to on a regular basis 400 yrds & 600 on occasion. As I mentioned above if & when I do go out to 1,000 yrds I would rather not have to buy a new scope. Especially if I spend a grand on it. If the day comes & I decide to get serious about shooting 1,000, I will buy or build a new rifle purpose built for the job. Thanks for the concern.

Joe

Last edited:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You may have already considered this but 1/8" adjustments are pretty much mandatory. A 1/4" click at 100yds gets really big at 1000.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That sounds like one hell of deal. Want to sell it for $600. JK!

I have not seen a used Long range one under 1,000 but I did not spend much time looking.

Last edited:

t-blaze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried the Millet scope route once to save money and wasn't happy with it. Big heavy monster, clear enough in good light but terrible in dim. I have learned to spend more on a scope than you want and keep it, not sell it with each project.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tried the Millet scope route once to save money and wasn't happy with it. Big heavy monster, clear enough in good light but terrible in dim. I have learned to spend more on a scope than you want and keep it, not sell it with each project.

The old ones before Bushnell bought them were pretty bad in low light and weighed a ton. The new LRS is much better in the light gathering dept and also lighter. For someone that doesn't have the budget for a 1000$ + optic the LRS or TRS is a fine option. I will shoot my 500$ LRS and " garage built " .308 against any scope you wish to bring for 10$ a round. You pick the range and distance as long as its past 500 yards. :) that being said, I agree that there are "better " scopes out there but what I have seen is that to get any improvement costs 1200 and up. Inside 300 yards a Walmart Centerpoint for 70$ will shoot with a 2000$ plus optic on a well tuned rifle. Optical clarity and tracking doesn't begin to be an issue untill 400+. Just my humble opinion.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey MOA the reviews on the millet that I saw where mixed some loved them & other had problems right of the bat. They are with out a doubt priced right with nice features.

My question is are they clear at full magnification & is the eye box forgiving? Next for me is focus/sharpness. I may try one for a different gun someday. Everyone has guns that do not need 1,000 scopes.

I bought a nikon monarch 4-16 x 40 & imo its not worth a shit. I only paid high 200s for it on clearance. I decided from that point on not to take chance scopes. You can use it on 16 but you have to be absolutely perfectly in line. This is not their low end in line. From 12 power on it has a light white haze that gets worse the higher it goes.

I will say it that I really like the turrets/ dials though.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey MOA the reviews on the millet that I saw where mixed some loved them & other had problems right of the bat. They are with out a doubt priced right with nice features.

My question is are they clear at full magnification & is the eye box forgiving? Next for me is focus/sharpness. I may try one for a different gun someday. Everyone has guns that do not need 1,000 scopes.

I bought a nikon monarch 4-16 x 40 & imo its not worth a shit. I only paid high 200s for it on clearance. I decided from that point on not to take chance scopes. You can use it on 16 but you have to be absolutely perfectly in line. This is not their low end in line. From 12 power on it has a light white haze that gets worse the higher it goes.

I will say it that I really like the turrets/ dials though.

You are welcome to try mine if you like. Get up with me.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the offer maybe we can have long range day so time. I can be the one everyone laughs at. :baby:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the offer maybe we can have long range day so time. I can be the one everyone laughs at. :baby:

I'm in. Brenda will have a new toy to try out by end of May also ( in tactical hot pink ) Lmao.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FEEDBACK PLEASE:
    I am considering a SWFA SS 3-15X42. This is a FFP and will be mounted on a .308. Any positive or NEGATIVE feedback would be great. Does anyone have any hands on experience with this company? I like the price at $699

Top Bottom