• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know there are scrap recycle yards to take your metal but is there a place to pick stuff up? I’ve always seen people on tv or other places and they go to the scrap yard and get stuff. Do we have a place like that? I’m not talking about Butlers but like a place to find recycled metal stuff like anvils, metal stuff that’s old and not just car parts. I’m not sure if I am describing what I mean clearly or not but does anyone know of a place?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    If you're asking where u can find neat old metal antiques.. and metal stock to re use in a Fab shop. You don't have many choices here locally that I know of. All either deal with just cars. Or don't sell to public. But.. here's a catch. When I used to save my cans and aluminum I'd go and recycle it in downtown Foley on 59. And each time I was there I was always kinda stunned at the really nice brass stuff being scrapped there. Really pretty old school boat propellers.. stuff that looked like it was in a church just days prior like nice candle sticks etc. U name it. It was always like a antique store gone wrong. Anyways I'd always small talk as we did the cans thing and that particular guy was cool. This was years ago tho. But I'm sure the guy there would say the same thing as the guy I knew then.. but he'd say he can't actually sell u the stuff. But if u was to walk in with the same amount of scrap and simply wanna trade it. You could do that. Maybe offer the guy a few bucks for the favor of course. So the question now would he where to find all the exchange materials. What type metal are u looking for exactly?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Check with rudd welding off 10 mile. They may have some odd stuff in a pile. None of the scrap yards will sell you anything, let alone let you look. Insurance/policy/etc. You'd think somebody giving them more than the going rate they would sell but they will not
    Dump won't let you take anything either. Only drop off. Somebody dumped a like new truck toolbox. Diamond plate. Still shiny new. That guy on the tractor told me not to touch it, it was scrap metal. Threatened me basically. I should have took it anyway but don't need any trouble for stealing since technically it's their property, in their possession. I have swiped some buckets without saying anything. Hehe

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am just inquiring because I could t find anything. A guy on YouTube was building something and at one point was like, let’s go to the scrap yard! It looked fun to poke around and I was curious if we had that too. I knew they did it for cars so I figured there might be something for miscellaneous items too. Oh well

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah if ya looking for angle iron etc. And it's a project that don't justify new material costs. Try asking around where ya live anytime u see alot of farm machinery stored at. Like larger farms and stuff. They usually have a few old plows and stuff they themselves keep and cannibalize for scrap. And most even have repair houses where they order metal stock and keep a good bit on hand for doing repairs. It will at least save the delivery costs. I'd say go directly to a Fab shop but they'll likely charge ya more. That's what I would do anyways. I'd love to start my own little welding Fab shop for projects and get a lathe etc also. But I rent my property and just know I'll have to move someday and don't want the headache of moving or taking a huge hit and be forced to sell it all at a fraction of what I paid for it lol. I see alot of neat gun stuff lately being made cheap. Like de-milled gun part kits etc. And I know how to weld and would love to do that someday. But you need a shop full of stuff to do it with. I do plan to at least get a 3d printer set up one day soon tho and make some that way. But yeah I too suffer from wanting to do things but hands are just tied lol

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently got a 3d printer. It’s worth it!

Again I was just curious. I’m not really looking for anything in particular. I have some scrap metal sources but I was curious if there was an actual yard lol

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Check with rudd welding off 10 mile. They may have some odd stuff in a pile. None of the scrap yards will sell you anything, let alone let you look. Insurance/policy/etc. You'd think somebody giving them more than the going rate they would sell but they will not
    Dump won't let you take anything either. Only drop off. Somebody dumped a like new truck toolbox. Diamond plate. Still shiny new. That guy on the tractor told me not to touch it, it was scrap metal. Threatened me basically. I should have took it anyway but don't need any trouble for stealing since technically it's their property, in their possession. I have swiped some buckets without saying anything. Hehe
    He wanted that toolbox for himself. The employees resale that kind of stuff. Also, the locals jump fences all the time. Best way in Milton for getting your own scrap metal for free is to sit outside the dump or on the way to the dump (like on Galt City Road or down by Sonic on 90) with a truck or trailer on the public right of way. People will give it away to you one piece at a time all day long, just to avoid paying by the pound to dump it. I made a hundred bucks a day on average doing this when I was laid off from construction after the housing bubble burst. I never did go on unemployment then, and I don't believe in it. I will say I panicked once when I got laid off from land surveying, but by the time I registered and got my first check, I already had a job making twice as much as land surveying. Collecting scrap metal has gotten me through more than one bind

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Asheville has a recycler like that. There were 15-20 guys in there helping unload and re-buying items for scrap price. Made total sense to me. They looked like extras from the Thunderdome movie, but it's a dirty job.
    It is definitely a dirty job,and not safe as far as heavy metals poisoning and fluids and tetanus goes. And a good way to ruin a good truck, fast. It is worth buying an old $2,000 junk truck for, though. You'll pay off the truck with scrap metal in your spare time in less than a year. I used a gas powered 460 F250 I bought on Palafox for $2,500. And I kept my nice vehicle nice.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's really cool. I do not need one of those! I could build a Glock 7!! Do ya think it could print a shotgun stock and be solid enough to hold up??
    Yes! If you get it dialed in and use the right filament. I’m not going to post all of my builds though lol My hot end went out the other day and I haven’t replaced it yet. After that I’ll be seeing about an adjustable stock print. The cool thing is there are a few different plastics you can use for different applications. And free print files all over the place if you don’t want to create it yourself. Thingiverse for print files and Tinkercad to make things from scratch. If you get dialed in on your machine settings you can print some pretty decent things. The grips in my pics are store bought quality. The hand guard takes a long time to print so I haven’t messed too much with it but it printed 90% perfect. The area where the two pieces touch warped during the print. Nothing you can do about it on a 30+ hour print though. Honestly the ammo boxes cost about as much as store bought ones so they aren’t cost effective bust still cool.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Glock 7 is a rare one. Made in Germany out of porcelain. Completely undetected by airport metal detectors. Hahahaha. Yippie Ki yay.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I know that down on the beach near where I work.. they made new rules that all chairs etc have to be off the beach daily before sunset. So between that rule. And the fact tourist don't want to take the chairs etc back.. that there's a buttload of aluminum being thrown away down there. So much so this one realty company I know rents a rolloff dumpster so it's clients can throw them into it. A person with a sawzall could go down there and chop up high quality aluminum at least once a week and hit a good lick. Noticed the city not long after began collecting it too. But yeah I'd say an easy 1k per week during summer can be made simply with lawn chairs. Then owners often replace patio furniture also. And that is usually super thick aluminum. If I had a truck I'd get it myself lol. But someone with a truck n trailer would simply just need to ask the realty places and I'm sure they'd happily allow ya to get it all. It would save them dumpster fees etc

JedClpIT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I know that down on the beach near where I work.. they made new rules that all chairs etc have to be off the beach daily before sunset. So between that rule. And the fact tourist don't want to take the chairs etc back.. that there's a buttload of aluminum being thrown away down there. So much so this one realty company I know rents a rolloff dumpster so it's clients can throw them into it. A person with a sawzall could go down there and chop up high quality aluminum at least once a week and hit a good lick. Noticed the city not long after began collecting it too. But yeah I'd say an easy 1k per week during summer can be made simply with lawn chairs. Then owners often replace patio furniture also. And that is usually super thick aluminum. If I had a truck I'd get it myself lol. But someone with a truck n trailer would simply just need to ask the realty places and I'm sure they'd happily allow ya to get it all. It would save them dumpster fees etc

Brilliant! The ability to make things, including a living, is what we need! Reduce,re-use and recycle are very important. Let's add work, build and invent. Oh, if I find a scrap source I'll let you know. I know plenty of folks who have a stash but I might as well ask to date their daughter and Is she on birth control.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I'm good. Thanks tho. I've saved bits here n there and always wound up giving it away just to get rid of some clutter. But if I had a truck.. trailer.. and owned this property and could store it. Then yeah I'd be all over it. My dad used to scrap. So did my grandpa. And they'd make little killings here n there on scrap. So I don't frown on it. And I too will post If I see anything. Last best find I saw last was when we was remodeling a doctors building in gulf shores a few months back. They had two huge xray rooms. And we left before the tear out of it began. They decided to do that portion of remodel later. But all the walls in it had lead in them. I was gonna see about maybe getting that scrap for doing reloads in the future..(Not set up to do then yet tho).. but the guy who was heading that portion of the job seemed to already have plans for it. So I could tell it was a lost cause lol. But someone got a ton of good lead

Top Bottom