• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riverrat

Shooter
    Well it took 70 days from time of application to mail box. I have not taken the wally walk yet but I am sure that will come this weekend.I have been carrying around the house just trying to get used to the feel. I am looking for another holster other than the Remora that I have now. I like the Remora for a quick trip to the gas station but I want something with more retension.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Congrats! I can't believe the wait time was that long from when you went down to the office to get all the finger prints down and pay for it. How are you carrying? Right now I carry in a Bladetech clip holster but I carry appendix and I know most people don't but I also had a SHTF holster, used an alien gear holster, and a versacarry holster. I loved the versacarry when carrying in the 3-6 oclock. It was small but the only problem is when you draw the rehoster you have to remove the clip and stick it back on the pistol. So that was a deal breaker other than that I loved it. All were great holsters, Gave my dad the SHTF holster and the alien gear was my friends. I just don't care to carry from 3 oclock- 6 oclock. You will go through a few holsters before you find the right one. Just like hunting boots and tennis shoes. See if some shops will let you try them out...

Riverrat

Shooter
    Congrats! I can't believe the wait time was that long from when you went down to the office to get all the finger prints down and pay for it. How are you carrying? Right now I carry in a Bladetech clip holster but I carry appendix and I know most people don't but I also had a SHTF holster, used an alien gear holster, and a versacarry holster. I loved the versacarry when carrying in the 3-6 oclock. It was small but the only problem is when you draw the rehoster you have to remove the clip and stick it back on the pistol. So that was a deal breaker other than that I loved it. All were great holsters, Gave my dad the SHTF holster and the alien gear was my friends. I just don't care to carry from 3 oclock- 6 oclock. You will go through a few holsters before you find the right one. Just like hunting boots and tennis shoes. See if some shops will let you try them out...

I am carrying a Sig p250 sc 40 cal. in a Remora as of now but want another choice with better retention. There are so many chocies for IWB holsters that its a bit overwhelming. I agree i am going to have to try before you buy but if I order something custom on line I may get stuck with it. I am a big guy and so far I have found that 4 o clock canted forward is the most comfortable. Trial and error.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I am carrying a Sig p250 sc 40 cal. in a Remora as of now but want another choice with better retention. There are so many chocies for IWB holsters that its a bit overwhelming. I agree i am going to have to try before you buy but if I order something custom on line I may get stuck with it. I am a big guy and so far I have found that 4 o clock canted forward is the most comfortable. Trial and error.

I know there is a thread a little while back about someone making holsters on here. That probably would be the best bet. Have on made. I know a few guys that carry OWB now after carrying IWB and they say it is a lot more comfortable verses IWB. Might want to consider that option to. My dad is leaning on that option after carrying IWB for years and he is a big guy to.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    I carry mine at 4 o'clock as well with a xds45, haven't got around to getting Jogan to make an OWB for it. Good job on the ccw, it will take some adjustments but you'll be carrying comfortably before too long. It's a mindset more than anything else.

Ryan

Master
    I wear my carry at like 3 in a bravo concealment dos holster. I have 4 different holsters and it takes some time to find what you like. I have a Jogan holster on order for my new 1911. I like the ability to adjust the cant with the belt loops
    f08a74a38c9e07366cb77fa257d5724d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fletch

Master
    Definitely get yourself a quality holster with good retention. You will be far less inclined to always be fingering your weapon to check it's security. It's kind of an urge greenhorns have but it doesn't take long to get comfortable and forget about it. If it's slightly printing no one is looking or noticing. Only excessive fidgeting would draw attention. For IWB carry the deadeyeluke
    Pchip holsters are great imo. He's always at the gunshow and they run 30 bucks or so. Very minimalist and great retention. You can take it on and off in a couple of seconds but the retention is great. The pancake hybrid style are good too but require a little more effort to get on and off.

oneshot

Master
    Now you need to learn to get to it and be able to fire it, under stress, and how to dress. And get a holster that you can learn to use and will practice with. You have just started. Just my 5 cents jj

Seanpcola

I wear my carry at like 3 in a bravo concealment dos holster. I have 4 different holsters and it takes some time to find what you like. I have a Jogan holster on order for my new 1911. I like the ability to adjust the cant with the belt loops
    f08a74a38c9e07366cb77fa257d5724d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who in the hell older than 40 is this skinny?

J/k

Brandon_SPC

Master

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    That is a lot longer than the week it took me years back, did you go to the tax office or the AG office?

brasshog

Marksman
    My two cents- Remember these rules. Rule #1-Buy a good COMFORTABLE holster. If it's uncomfortable or hot you won't carry it often or at all (See below). Rule #2- You will go through a few holsters. You will need different holsters for different attire if you only have one gun for CCW. Rule #3- Train with it. Try drawing and firing from sitting both in a chair AND car seat. Can you clear it when in a scuffle one handed ? Can you reach it with the off hand if your injured ? Is it really concealable ? Learn to draw and double tap with it well. Muscle memory is very important. Does it draw or hold dirt/moisture ? Nobody likes a scratched gun lol. Keep a spare holster in the car in case you need to go to an alternate carry mode due to a change of plans. And lastly..will it stay in the damn holster in a knock out drag out brawl for your life ? An incident that I was involved in consisted of me and a buddy being jumped by five guys while crossing the street. He had left his GP100 (they were still sorta a new thing back then also) at home due to the heat (uncomfortable holster) so I lent him my backup 38spl (my ankle gun). One BG had a Lorcin 25 and another a knife. He was appendix carrying the taurus model 85 when three of them jumped him causing him ( I got the other two) to bend forward. He was fast thinking enough to drop to one knee in order to draw and gut shoot one of his attackers causing the other two to "jump off him". Just for info I had a Colt Gold Cup 45ACP in a Bianchi Scorpio shoulder rig (no longer made) that day.

Follow up: Two weeks later I had to use the gold cup yet again against some "energetic youths" . The were Cholos (mexican gang) members that wanted me to "donate to their college fund" via a knife. I was carrying. One week later my buddy left his GP100 at home again and was robbed at gunpoint at an atm (they were a relatively new thing then and robberies were frequent). Instead of wondering why he hadn't carried that night at the atm he was wishing I had been there to help again. Some people never learn I guess.

Last edited:

Fletch

Master
    My two cents- Remember these rules. Rule #1-Buy a good COMFORTABLE holster. If it's uncomfortable or hot you won't carry it often or at all (See below). Rule #2- You will go through a few holsters. You will need different holsters for different attire if you only have one gun for CCW. Rule #3- Train with it. Try drawing and firing from sitting both in a chair AND car seat. Can you clear it when in a scuffle one handed ? Can you reach it with the off hand if your injured ? Is it really concealable ? Learn to draw and double tap with it well. Muscle memory is very important. Does it draw or hold dirt/moisture ? Nobody likes a scratched gun lol. And lastly..will it stay in the damn holster in a knock out drag out brawl for your life ? An incident that I was involved in consisted of me and a buddy being jumped by five guys while crossing the street. He had left his GP100 (they were still sorta a new thing back then also) at home due to the heat (uncomfortable holster) so I lent him my backup 38spl (my ankle gun). One BG had a Lorcin 25 and another a knife. He was appendix carrying the taurus model 85 when three of them jumped him causing him ( I got the other two) to bend forward. He was fast thinking enough to drop to one knee in order to draw and gut shoot one of his attackers causing the other two to "jump off him". Just for info I had a Colt Gold Cup 45ACP in a Bianchi Scorpio shoulder rig (no longer made) that day.

Follow up: Two weeks later I had to use the gold cup yet again against some "energetic youths" . The were Cholos (mexican gang) members that wanted me to "donate to their college fund" via a knife. I was carrying. One week later my buddy left his GP100 at home again and was robbed at gunpoint at an atm (they were a relatively new thing then and robberies were frequent). Instead of wondering why he hadn't carried that night at the atm he was wishing I had been there to help again. Some people never learn I guess.

ATMs at night are never good armed or not. Where did you and your buddy hang out to find so much trouble....back alleys of Tijuana? Most people will go their whole lives without ever needing to use a firearm in self-defense including career policmen and you had to twice in the span of a couple of weeks. That's some bad luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom