• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tips n tails

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok distress piglet calls- do they work in bringing in hogs to your hidden spot? Or scare them off?

Sow scents- anybody ever use this?

I had some stinky corn I went out and buried it deep and sure enough they ate very single gold kernel. I'm in the works of getting a smaller size steel barrel with some holes drilled in it so they can move it around. SAWMAN or Frank if you don't mind sharing what your setups look like I'd appreciate it. I'm looking at using a steel cable from a old dog run. The area I'm hunting borders eglins property very thick and it looks like they come out during the night then go back to the thicket. I'm trying to bring them to me so,I don't have to go looking for them in the thicket. From the rooting it appears it's a sow with piglets rooting wasn't serious enough to look like a adult group of hogs plus the tracks were on the smaller size.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      397.2 KB · Views: 186
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      425.7 KB · Views: 177
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      467.4 KB · Views: 180
    Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Use chain, I have 10 doubled up twisted and broken dog run cables. You will have better luck w plastic for roll barrels. Never had a call work but some have. Never had scent work but I use it as a cover. I combine a timed feeder, a roll barrel and a trough to throw trash in at each hunting location and they come in.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    here's mine !!!!!!

hogPROBLEMS1.jpg

naw....that pics ran the internet several years back, but this next one is for real on a lease I used to hunt.

1620oct202010200631-1.jpg

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I am convinced that the sow (70-80 lb range) I got came to a distressed piglet call. Sawman had called using the distressed piglet call and stopped after less than a minute of calling. He stopped calling, got out of his buggy and was clanking away making noise putting up the call prior to leaving the area when the sow came out. I was "shushing" him to be quiet, but he didn't hear me. In spite of the shushing and clanking and his walking around the electric buggy, the sow came out and didn't seem spooked, but rather that she had something on her mind (the sound of the piglet). She was about 50yd from us when I fired (this was in the dark with thermal). Other times have produced nothing with the piglet call.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Roll Barrel and Hogs

An older pic of the club that I used to be in that is located right on the edge of Escambia River WMA. In fact,my plot bordered the WMA line. These are pics of my roll bbl setup.

Hogs can be called. In fact I believe that I had a sounder headed my way the other night. However,as with calling anything(coyotes,deer,bear)things can change quite rapidly. Wind,sound,their curosity,their "agenda",etc,etc. I have seen the proof(tracks in the snow)proving that I have called coyotes to within 20yards of me and I didn't even know that they had come. Not so much with hogs,but I do believe that the sounders of hogs have a
    agenda". Somewhere that they are headed or somewhere that they "have to be" and no calling possible with change their mind. (Just a theory) --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC_0015.jpg
      DSC_0015.jpg
      154.2 KB · Views: 139
    • DSC_0019.jpg
      DSC_0019.jpg
      263.3 KB · Views: 142
    Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Info from someone more experienced at hunting hogs and calling hogs than me. "You gotta know where the hogs are before you can call them". I believe that you will not be successful by just walking out into the woods and calling. You have to pin down their local much better than that.

I have never tried calling hogs during the daylight hours except a couple of times about sunset. I am about to try my FoxPro along with a mouth blown grunt call at the same time. Well see .........?? --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom