Less than 60 days to a major election and no panic buying. I'm Surprised!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miami_JBT

Expert
    Less than 60 days to a major election and no panic buying. I'm Surprised!

I'm truly surprised that people aren't panic buying guns, mags, and ammo right now. Since the economy really is in a dump due to inflation and stagnant wages plus the fact that in a four-year timespan, 22-million Americans became first-time gun buyers. I guess the market is just tapped out. Heck, you had people literally buy everything off the shelves back in 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic and the Summer of Love.

Talking to my FFL contacts, all the distributors that they do business with are stuffed to the gills with product at the moment. Ammo, guns, mags, parts, etc... They're all trying to unload merch on the FFLs and the FFLs aren't buying because no one is buying from them. Stuff isn't moving at the moment.

Me, I'm stocked. I've been buying it cheap and stacking it deep since the early '00s. Even before the Clinton AWB expired, I was already buying stuff. Literally the only thing I've recently purchased have been revolvers and just a few mags. Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore had some LE surplus GLOCK mags on sale. But of course, the ones I ordered are fifty-state legal. 10rd GLOCK 30 and 9rd GLOCK 27 mags. I only ordered them because they were both under $15 a pop. Simply couldn't let a deal like that be passed up. I only have four mags for both my GLOCK 30 and GLOCK 27 anyways. So, having a few more ain't a bad thing.

But in terms of wanting another case of ammo, more 30rd AR mags, another AK, etc.... nah, I'm good.

Only thing I'm lusting after is a S&W Model 4516 and that's a compact 7rd .45 ACP pistol.

31348-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Again, nothing that folks would panic buy right now.

Any of you have a must-have purchase before the elections?

Shootist

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    We haven't had the October Surprise yet.

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    I have seen an elevated number of firearms transfers, but they are not what you would typically consider "panic buys". I'm seeing more utility items and long term durable goods purchases, including collectibles and things that hold value.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    I have seen an elevated number of firearms transfers, but they are not what you would typically consider "panic buys". I'm seeing more utility items and long term durable goods purchases, including collectibles and things that hold value.
    I've seen collector grade stuff move right now. But current production consumer grade stuff isn't.

Pinned and recessed S&Was for example are moving. Current production GLOCKs and SIG, aren't.

fir

Just a guy
    Local Dealer
    Most of what I handle is transfers, and I am just saying that I see an elevated amount. People are still preparing, but not in "that" way.

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    They may not be panic buying of firearms and/or ammo but Fairhope has seen a huge uptick in CCW permits and many current CCW holders are changing their existing permits to 5 year terms (long enough to get through 4 years of a bad administration) .

Could be inflation and current household expenses are slowing down the retail buys....

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    They may not be panic buying of firearms and/or ammo but Fairhope has seen a huge uptick in CCW permits and many current CCW holders are changing their existing permits to 5 year terms (long enough to get through 4 years of a bad administration) .

Could be inflation and current household expenses are slowing down the retail buys....
    That's a good idea. I need to do mine. New county.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    After AWB I buy alot of glock mags if the price is good.(cheap)
    Did you find G30 mags for $15? If so where??? Always need more.
    Bought a few wants but pretty much have everything I need. But a few more glocks couldn't hurt, lol.

Reactions: FLT

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    I have kept myself stocked up over the years, so at this time my 'needs' are few. There will always be 'wants,' but I haven't been buying much of anything lately. I still have enough ammo & reloading components to keep me shooting for quite some time.

Miami_JBT

Expert
    Bought a few wants but pretty much have everything I need. But a few more glocks couldn't hurt, lol.
    Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore has 'em on sale. Buy 5 or more and you get 'em for under $13.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I think most have realized that nothing really happens and stuff remains available after a dry spell.

In addition, many realize there is a shortage because we create it.

I’m done paying insane prices for powder and primers.

Bodhisattva

Marksman

Curious as to how you can confirm this “uptick?” Source? Asking because I live and work in Fairhope and there certainly aren’t more open carry folks walking around displaying their guns.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I
    I hear ya, Brother. I am always on the lookout for mags, but I stick to the original manufacturer in Glock.

I’m not looking to buy any new guns, but mags, absolutely. Glock, 1911, AR, Sig….I think a magazine capacity ban is more likely than an AR ban, but that’s just my take on it.

polebarn

Expert
    The Sandy Hook effect,the George Floyd effect,etc. Since SCOTUS seems to on our side (temporarily) no one fears bans or the like. Add to that no one who has 2 brain cells or more believes Harris will win. A Harris victory and /or Trump being "eliminated" will change everything dramatically. That being said, most folks have enough stuff having stocked up 2012-2022. Discretionary funds are going towards food and interest payments. If the PTB that are pushing Kamala and trying to neutralize Trump win we will be in a SHTF environment and things will dramatically pick up. Even the libs have discovered that they need guns and ammo.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Top Bottom