• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want to install an irrigation system. Tired of dragging hoses

1st question - Does anyone on here have experience with electric valves in an irrigation system vs. an indexing head? I had a shallow well and an Indexing head at my last place. It worked fine but I may need to run more zones for the current yard. I am very familiar with indexing head type of systems but know zilch about the other.

2nd - With an electric valve manifold, are there 2 timers; one for the pump and one for the electric valves?

3rd - Did anyone have ECUA install a separate water meter for irrigation only and if so does it require some type of backflow prevention device. The price ECUA quoted me was $895 for the meter. They knew nothing of the backflow prevention that I found odd. I know this was a subject several years back maybe due to retrofitting the backflow valves.

Thanks

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have an indexing head and I would much rather have the electric (I had them at my previous house). I would put all the valves together and not scattered all over the yard. The wiring goes bad, as do the electric valves themselves.

I will switch it sometime.

Run zones based on the plants - lawn is one (or more zones if needed), shrubs are another zone, trees are another.

Run an extra main line anywhere you think you may need it in the future (garden, pool, etc). PVC is cheap so do it now and have it for later.

Also take pictures, draw a map, and make a nice irrigation book.

Also - go off a well and a pump.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    1. I buried my manifold in a service box so it is easy to get to If it needs to be serviced.

You can leave room to expand when you build the manifold. I capped off one side incase i needed to add a zone.

2. Each solenoid valve wires back to your irrigation control unit/ timer.

The control unit opens and closes the valve for you.

If you have a well pump you will also need a pump start relay to turn the pump on when the sprinklers start.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    get rain bird valves and heads they don't cost that much more and are a superior product their clocks are also good
    put your valves in a box underground together if possible and run an irrigation wire with at least 2 extra circuits
    get the flexible connectors for the heads
    just my 50 plus years of working with irrigation speaking

Fng1911

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    This is a comparison from a a new vehicle with the bells and whistles compared to the basic model. It gets you from point A to point B, and do you want the upgrades.
    Answer to question #2, you have pump relay and a timer ( not 2 timers). I currently have an index at my house but much prefer solenoid valve system, which I have 7 different valve systems at work. It’s easier to operate, more programmable, with more settings. The only problem I have with solenoids are, when a zone doesn’t work, you have to trouble the reason, it could be a ground wire, neutral wire, bad solenoid or the time is malfunctioning.

It’s been so hard for me to learn the “buy one very once” mentality. If I do my system again, it’ll be solenoid over index.

RHINOWSO

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    After having 3 or 4 houses with sprinklers, I'm so glad my current place gets enough natural watering due to the grade of land that I don't need them at all.

BIL get pissed when he comes over, as he has to use sprinklers and do all that fertilizer / weeding stuff. Ours is just green all the time and we don't do anything.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    #1 1” valves cost $15 each. You do not want an indexing system

#2 what type of pump? Shallow centrifugal will require a pump start relay. A shallow water jet will give you continuous pressure with a pressure tank. This would be handy for other uses

#3 I’m not familiar with escambia co. Do expect to have an inspection? I’d ask questions later

PM me if you have questions. I’m familiar with irrigation systems

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks all for your replies. I appreciate your time. This project has been on my to do list for a couple years but other priorities keep popping up.

TontoFAC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Lay out the path of each zone you will have using paint and flags as to where the sprinklers will be located.
    Then call 811 and have them mark where all the utilities are located.
    Laying out the system will tell you how many zones you will need.
    I personally like the indexing valves, I have had years of use with no issues, where my neighbor is having issues with the buried valves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom