• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Got this reddish-brown sow last night about 10pm. Double lung shot at about 50yd. She went about 40yd before dropping. Interesting in that Sawman and I saw and heard a small male pig (and killed it) in the same field about 2 minutes before. Sawman then played a couple of "piglet in distress" calls, got out of the electric buggy to put up his call prior to picking up the pig, when the sow came out (opposite side of the field). I was "shushing" Sawman to stop making noise as I saw the sow, but he didn't hear me, but saw me kneel down to shoot. All evidence points to the sow coming to the call, as 1) she appeared after the call was played, and 2) she seemed preoccupied with something and didn't spook at all my "shushing" sounds.

Although I wanted another pig for the freezer and for a friend to make some pulled pork, Sawman knew a very needy person who could use it more than us. I agreed. The person drove right over to get the two pigs and was very happy to get them. That makes a person feel real good.

We now know to wait a few more minutes after doing piglet in distress calls. The sow was not nursing. Estimated weight was 70-80 pounds. Thermal helped GREATLY in finding her down in the thick brush. Pics were taken after she was dragged out from the brush in the rear of the photo. No blood was found until she had went about 30yd. Of course using a suppressed firearm must've helped the situation for us. 300 Blackout SBR, Nosler 125gr BT bullets, Gemtech Quicksand suppressor, thermal clip-on sight.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Autopsy results: High double lung shot with bullet exiting the pig. There was a 2nd hit just forward of the rear ham...I had shot twice at it as it ran away across in front of me, and we did not know it was hit near the ham.

Although I've taken deer with the Nosler 125gr ballistic tips, kidding about the use of the Noslers on a pig at the lower 300BLK velocities left me with some doubts. I no longer have any doubts.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Lest anyone think pig hunting around here is easy like as shown on TV, you have many many trips (but at least you are enjoying hunting) to harvest or even see a pig. I've taken 3 so far. I believe I hunted 13 times before getting my first pig. Where I and Sawman go is not overrun with pigs. There is somewhat danger in that you are moving in the dark. Safety - you must always know where the other hunter is and keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction and know what directions to not shoot in.

boomboom

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Autopsy results: High double lung shot with bullet exiting the pig. There was a 2nd hit just forward of the rear ham...I had shot twice at it as it ran away across in front of me, and we did not know it was hit near the ham.

Although I've taken deer with the Nosler 125gr ballistic tips, kidding about the use of the Noslers on a pig at the lower 300BLK velocities left me with some doubts. I no longer have any doubts.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Good hunt, I like your set up! The 125gr Nosler ballistic tips are an awesome round for the 300 blackout. A few years back, I shot two pigs with one shot using the Nosler. The last pig I shot a few weeks ago, I tried to donate the meat to the Food Bank for the Needy, but they wouldn't take it unless it was processed through a butcher or a meat market. My freezer was already full, so I found a few neighbors to take it.

Top Bottom