• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Went out early last PM to take a look around before dark. Got my buggy unloaded at about 1700 (sunset). Drove up into the fields and took a look around with my thermal handheld ( yep,you can use thermal during the daylight hours ) but no hogs.
    Deceided to take a look at an adjacent field but it was not huntable in a safe shooting direction due to the tall,thick cotton stalks that were left after the harvest.
    So drove back around to the first field and the hogs were there. It was not dark yet and from where I was at it was not safe to shoot towards the hogs. So I deceided to take the long trip around to my truck,slowly,and give it time to get dark. But the full,bright moon was gonna give me problems.
    It was about a 3/4 mile trip back around the fields to the point that I could enter the field that they were in,and get set up for a safe shot. By the time that I went around,and back into the field it was dark but the moon was up bright and right in my face on my approach across the field to close the distance.
    The hogs were in the feeding mode and not the "lookin' around for food" mode,to my advantage. They were rooting right down the rows for the left over peanuts.
    I closed the distance at less than walking speed. Stopped to within about 75yds,got my gun on my "gunners strap",picked what I thought to be the leed sow,and sent one.
    She went about 20yds and dropped. The rest made it to the wood line before I could target them. They had no idea that I was there before the shot so I deceided to repo my buggy a little closer to the wood line (150yds away) and see if they would come back. After about 30 minutes,8 of the initial 20 or so came back into the field. I targeted the biggest which was a 150-170lb boar. He dropped wherer
    19584.jpeg
    19585.jpeg
    he stood. The rest ran but one 120lb sow stopped just before entering the woodline,and I killed her at about 150yds. She ran about 40yds back into the field before she dropped. I had hit her a little far back for the quick kill thing.
    The advantage to hunting these vast fields,and targeting the hogs that are the fartherest out into these harvested fields is, you can easily spot (with thermal) and retrieve a downed hog(s).
    Great hunt . . . not too cold early,was headed home by 1900 after dragging the hogs from the field. ---- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dayum nice ones. Is that with the 6.8spc you're using? Huge blow out on that one, you know it wasn't going nowhere. You keeping them or feeding the buzzards?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry gents . . forgot to add - - -> 18" Bison Armory 6.8SPCII,1:11 twist. Shooting Barnes 85gr TSX at just under 3100fps.
    Will get exit damage if I do not hit bone going in. On the shoulder,especially on a bigger boar hog,will not exit ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED : ONLY the ASC brand mags. (The 6.5G mags work perfectly in both my 6.8 AR's)The 5 shot and 10 shot are both the 10 shot size. Much smaller than a GI 20. I mark the floor plate with a "V" or a "X". The 5 shots are used for deer only. The 10 shots are used for hogs and yotes. Load 8 into the 10 shots (8+1). Haven't run out yet.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    When they are side by side you can really see the different colors. I like the dark black on that one. I didn’t know you had it in you to shoot more than one at a time. Great hunt and great shooting. I’ve told the property owner of your success.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The one that I made a somewhat far back hit on just happened to stop on the edge of the pine row. My shot was hastened by knowing she would not stand there long. Going in was just behind the last rib back.
    I am anxious to start using the 95gr TTSX that I got from you. Somewhat slower and they are reported to not expand quite as much as the TSX. They are boat tail also where the 85gr TSX are not.
    I absolutely love,and always reccomend,the Barnes solid copper bullets. Expierance for me,is the best teacher. ---- SAWMAN

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sawman, since Daezee brought it up (sidexside), have you ever took 2 hogs with 1 shot, and if so, what was the distance, roughly?
    From the looks of that hole, that 6.8 oughtta take at least 3 with 1, getting them to line up is the challenge I'm sure.
    What about you Frank, have you got a two'fer with 1 shot?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me,I have not tried that. We want to keep their numbers in check not eradicate. I believe that eradication would be impossible anyway. Like coyotes.
    If I were to attempt a two fer shot,it would be on the 80-120lb hogs. They both would be faceing the same direction and not more than 3 feet apart.
    My bullet choice in .277" would be the Barnes 110gr TSX. In .224" it would be the Barnes 53 or 62gr bullets. Possibly a Hornady GMX but I have seen how the Barnes perform.
    I really do not see shots like this in my future. At least at night,using thermal.
    I will not shoot at a running hog. I will shoot at a walking hog or follow them until they stop. The good sized boar that I killed awhile back was in a slow STEADY walk.
    17885.jpeg
    Like a couple nights ago I was already pretty much on this hog that stopped. I had even pulled thru the first stage of my AR Gold trigger. And three pounds later . . . . ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: The above pic was the walking hog that I killed a couple months ago. He was goin' for the edge. He got hit (CNS)about 5 feet from "no mans land". This,was the third hit. First two were heart/lung hits. From the first walking hit to where he finally took the dirt nap was about 50-60yds.
    Just before my killing shot,I remember saying out loud - -> "ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT!!"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom