• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We(DAEZEE)killed this hog last PM after an exhausting,all night hunt(yeah,right). Bruce will be along after he gets his beauty rest to tell the "Paul Harvey" part. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• SANY0067.jpg
      SANY0067.jpg
      673.6 KB · Views: 179

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    SANY0068.jpg imagejpeg_0.jpg

Sawman wanted to sit in a spot we hadn't sat at before. I wasn't initially thrilled with his choice, as we couldn't see another field that's been rather productive, but we knew hogs had been in this field, and the walk to the area was easy. Besides, just being out hunting is great. We sat with a row of pine trees to our back, so even though the moon was out, we blended into the background. Actually, it was pretty darn nice where we sat; had trees to lean our shooting sticks and rifles up against instead of laying equipment on the ground. Sawman sprayed a squirt of hog scent (not on us, on the brush) to help mask our smell, as the wind wasn't perfect. We had only sat about an hour into darkness and had been watching some deer when I spotted a heat signature in the brush at the east end of the field (200yd +) (we were sitting at the west end). I told Sawman "1 o'clock"), and as he also looked, the heat signature come into the field and started running towards us (eager to get at the peanuts we suppose or it smelled the sprayed hog scent and Sawman would be in danger from a love sick boar as I felt I could outrun Sawman). It stopped about 150 yards away and started rooting. We watched for a few minutes in case more hogs were coming, but only a smaller one came and kept a good 100yd + away from the rooting hog (that told Sawman we were probably looking at a boar). It didn't look too big for us to handle if we got it (neither of us have the shoulders of a 20 year old and both have had shoulder surgery), so we decided to go for it; I'd do the shooting on this one. We'd stalk about 10yd and stop and look and then stalk again once it had its head down rooting. Finally, the hog raised its head, appearing to be sniffing the air, and we figured it was gonna leave any second. We were close enough that I put the crosshairs on its shoulder and fired when it started moving a bit. We heard the bullet hit and could hear the hog squeal in the video. It took off running back the way it had come on the field, but not very well, and Sawman repeats don't shoot, don't shoot, as he could see some blood spraying out. I didn't see the blood spray, but upon playing the video, it can be seen. The hog went about 50yd and dropped and kicked, and that was that. The field was hard enough and not yet plowed or planted, that Sawman could drive his truck right up to the hog for picking it up as long as the muddy areas were avoided.

We underestimated the weight at 80 to 120; final weight was 140 pounds. There was a small amount of blood and the appearance of a hole in the lower neck in front of the shoulder, so I thought I missed where I was aiming. However, when I cleaned the hog, I found the bullet had hit the right shoulder just where I was aiming, breaking the leg bone in pieces, going through the heart and exiting about the arm pit on the opposite side. 6.8SPC 10.5" SBR Barnes 95gr TTSX.

In the one pic you can see a hole in the neck with a little blood, yet my bullet hit it right in the shoulder/leg. Maybe it had been in a fight with another boar; there was some fresh looking bloody meat around the hole about an inch and a half in diameter, but the bloodshot meat didn't extend into the body cavity or shoulder. The other pic shows the blood at the arm pit exit area after the bullet went through the heart. Sawman said the hog had a limp, and in the video, at least once, I can also see a limp. The meat is in the cooler on salted ice for a few days until further processing.

Oh, I wear a camo cover over my white beard!

Attachments

• SANY0068.jpg
      SANY0068.jpg
      617.6 KB · Views: 172
    • imagejpeg_0.jpg
      imagejpeg_0.jpg
      85.9 KB · Views: 172

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Those Barnes TTSX are bad ass bullets, I load 130gr TTSX for my .308.

I've taken 3 hogs with the Barnes. 2 bullets were recovered, both nicely expanded. The muzzle velocity is about 2600 out of my SBR.

PART_1428406893453_20150406_223459-1.jpg

Attachments

• PART_1428406893453_20150406_223459-1.jpg
      PART_1428406893453_20150406_223459-1.jpg
      388.3 KB · Views: 164

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So Bruce .... your starting to like my "secret" hog scent too,aren't you. As long as we do not "graduate" to spraying it directly on us I think we will maintain some small level of sanity. Good indicator of the wind direction as an added bonus.

This hog had some developed looking cutters,just not yet long and thick. Looked to me like an older boar also.

His limp looked to be in the front leg/shoulder area. In his fast walk it was very pronounced thru thermal. It did not seem to hurt his rooting though, as we saw evidence of him making short work of several areas in the 10-15 minutes or so that he was in the field before we started our stalk.

Great hunt. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    SHIT NO (!!) Stan. I'm not quite that fuglie. I know,what your REALLY gettin' at is you want a signed picture of myself so that you could put it up in your gun room ..... right ?? I just sent one to Bill O'Riley so I guess I could slip you one.

Your Welcome --> --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This coming week John. Just say the night and I'll be there. The fields have been sprayed but have not been turned.

We are lineing up other areas right now. Close by also. Get home and make time to hunt. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• DSC00971.JPG
      DSC00971.JPG
      479.1 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Top Bottom